Sign in to follow this  
Max Sliders

How to save PMDG undocked panel state

20160207_093250.jpg?dl=0Hi all, I'm a newbie so apologies if I'm asking this question in the wrong place!  Although I've 'played around' with FS2000 up to the current version of P3D v3.1, I've not taken it that seriously until fairly recently (now hooked!) and so I'm in a fairly sharp learning curve and this seems to be the place to be!  One thing I've found really irritating and have been unable to find a solution to, is that of saving undocked panels. I have three screens for 'through the window' views and two below for instrument panels.  Each time I load my PMDG777 (or 737), I have to go through the process of undocking each panel and positioning as required.  Surely there's an easier way?  Any assistance appreciated!

Awhile back FSUIPC once had a capability to do that. Don't know whether that is still available.

You can create your own 2D panel in panel.cfg. This way you can show/hide the panel by pressing Shift + 1, Shift +2, etc. I've only tried that before with the Aerosoft Airbus, but I believe it's possible for the PMDG as well.

If you need I can try to create one for the NGX.

Thanks guys!  A couple of possible solutions to try.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the GoFlight MCP (which I use) doesn't much like FSUIPC running at the same time, but I can try it.  Many thanks both!

You can create your own 2D panel in panel.cfg. This way you can show/hide the panel by pressing Shift + 1, Shift +2, etc. I've only tried that before with the Aerosoft Airbus, but I believe it's possible for the PMDG as well.

If you need I can try to create one for the NGX.

Just a quick question Jetstrem; is there a link that you're aware of where I can get some help configuring a 2D panel in panel.cfg?

Just a quick question Jetstrem; is there a link that you're aware of where I can get some help configuring a 2D panel in panel.cfg?

Here is the official documentation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx

It would be easier to just take a look at the panel.cfg of default aircraft (e.g. 737-800). It shouldn't be difficult. 

Also don't forget to backup the .cfg before modifying it.

Had some time to give a try. This this what I end up with: 

24755162992_86526eaa1d_h.jpg

It's quite easy. Under [Window Titles] add this line:

window21=Custom Panel

After the [Window20] section add these lines:

[Window21]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=2031,636
window_size = 0.945,0.589 //0.28906, 0.46250
position=6
visible=0
ident=15000
zorder=95

gauge00=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 0, 0, 677, 636, 1 LEFT_OUTBD #11 ZOOM
gauge01=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 677, 0, 677, 636, 1 LEFT_INBD #12 ZOOM
gauge02=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 1354, 0, 677, 636, 1 UPPER #13 ZOOM

Then in FSX menu, click Views -> Instrument Panel -> Custom Panel, it should show up.

Had some time to give a try. This this what I end up with: 

24755162992_86526eaa1d_h.jpg

It's quite easy. Under [Window Titles] add this line:

window21=Custom Panel

After the [Window20] section add these lines:

[Window21]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=2031,636
window_size = 0.945,0.589 //0.28906, 0.46250
position=6
visible=0
ident=15000
zorder=95

gauge00=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 0, 0, 677, 636, 1 LEFT_OUTBD #11 ZOOM
gauge01=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 677, 0, 677, 636, 1 LEFT_INBD #12 ZOOM
gauge02=PMDG_737NGX!DU, 1354, 0, 677, 636, 1 UPPER #13 ZOOM

Then in FSX menu, click Views -> Instrument Panel -> Custom Panel, it should show up.

Great!  thanks David - I'll give that a shot and report back.  Although I'm using P3D v3.1, I'll see if similar applies.

Well, first things first, Having searched in explorer, I have approx. 60+ panels to chose from to edit.  However, I clearly chose the correct file for the 777, as the option under 'Views' - 'Instrument Panel' in the P3D menu, showed the newly integrated 'Custom Panel'.  On selection, I had one small black window appear, but nothing else.   I did this with and without wide screen selected - results the same.  I switched the cfg file back as it was, checked again, and the 'Custom Panel' no longer appeared, so I'm convinced that it was the correct .cfg file!  I tried this also with the 737 and there was no selection possible for a 'Custom Panel', so perhaps I chose the wrong .cfg file to edit. 

I also tried once more, the integrated PMDG Set Up in the FMC panel, to save the panel state, named it 'custom', exited and reinstated P3D, loaded the aircraft, chose 'Custom' panel state under PMDG options, and lo and behold - nothing!  Arghh...!

Well, first things first, Having searched in explorer, I have approx. 60+ panels to chose from to edit.  However, I clearly chose the correct file for the 777, as the option under 'Views' - 'Instrument Panel' in the P3D menu, showed the newly integrated 'Custom Panel'.  On selection, I had one small black window appear, but nothing else.   I did this with and without wide screen selected - results the same.  I switched the cfg file back as it was, checked again, and the 'Custom Panel' no longer appeared, so I'm convinced that it was the correct .cfg file!  I tried this also with the 737 and there was no selection possible for a 'Custom Panel', so perhaps I chose the wrong .cfg file to edit. 

I also tried once more, the integrated PMDG Set Up in the FMC panel, to save the panel state, named it 'custom', exited and reinstated P3D, loaded the aircraft, chose 'Custom' panel state under PMDG options, and lo and behold - nothing!  Arghh...!

Forgot to say that it won't work for the 777 as the name of the gauges are different for each aircraft. For example I used PMDG_737NGX!DU for gauge00.

As for the file to edit, choose SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX\panel\panel.cfg. There aren't many to choose from, because all other variants use the cfg from the -800. (Not sure about the -600/700 though, as I don't have them.)

If it still doesn't work, maybe it's because PMDG changed the name of the gauges or the cfg works differently in P3D. As I only have FSX installed I don't really know what went wrong.

Forgot to say that it won't work for the 777 as the name of the gauges are different for each aircraft. For example I used PMDG_737NGX!DU for gauge00.

As for the file to edit, choose SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX\panel\panel.cfg. There aren't many to choose from, because all other variants use the cfg from the -800. (Not sure about the -600/700 though, as I don't have them.)

If it still doesn't work, maybe it's because PMDG changed the name of the gauges or the cfg works differently in P3D. As I only have FSX installed I don't really know what went wrong.

I followed your instructions to the letter and clearly I had indeed changed the wrong .cfg file for the 737 as now it shows the 'Custom Panel' under instrument views.  However, I got the same issue as with the 777, in that just a small black panel appeared and the other panels were in their default position, undocked.  I'll continue to scratch my head about this for now, but meanwhile, many thanks indeed for all your help - much appreciated!