Sign in to follow this  
xcraft

Oculus Thrift (alternatives to Oculus)

Looking to get into the VR thing, but Oculus is very expensive, kinda low-res, and if you order now, you still won't get one until June. I do have a Samsung S6 with Samsung Gear VR though, and am wondering if there's any way to use this to get a good VR experience. Maybe through some kind of combination of streaming apps or something, has anyone done this, heard of it, or have any ideas?

What's frustrating is that it appears that Flyinside software will not work with anything other than Oculus.

I found a video of what appears to be a guy doing something like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvDPcP0zZBo&list=FLz9Dyau2YrVzC_fAWhRi-0w&index=3

Yep I just got it working!

Used TrackIr5 for 6D head tracking, TrinusVR for the video feed, and a Samsung S6 with a Gear VR headset, totally works!

Used TrackIr5 for 6D head tracking, TrinusVR for the video feed, and a Samsung S6 with a Gear VR headset, totally works!

any stutters, what are your computer specs?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Let us know how it works.

Thank's

i can get trinus working on my pc with fsx playing, however horrible resolution and frame rates, mainly due to my old computer.

I have this MSI laptop here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VGIS4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

My framerates are fine.

The only "issues" really is that you have to use the "one-one" setting on TrackIr which means once you turn your head to nearly 90 degrees it start to loos you so you don't get that totally immersive effect where you can simply look backward at whats behind you. 

Since most gear VR and google cardboard apps rely solely on the phone's sensors and can therefore turn all the way arround I'm trying to see if there's a way to use just those, some kind of special setting in trinus's mouse look option might work but it's hard to get that perfect one-one calibration and you sacrifice the "6 degrees of freedom" feature since the phone's sensors can't do position tracking, only look angle.

how immersive is it? I have watched youtube videos of people who have given FSX a whirl in DK2 through my google cardboard and it is mindblowing!

example

I'd say it's about a 75% solution to the level of a video like that.  About the same tracking, frame rate etc, but you can't look all the way around like that guy was. I just got the pro clip so I'm going to try to see if that will at least allow a good reliable 90 degree ability.

would you "upgrade" to the oculus rift when it eventually comes out? based on your experience with trinus?

Yeah I just got the pro clip and it doesn't help any of the limit issues. Really disappointed since the pro clip is 50 bucks. I thought it would get me to at least that 90 degree of center point. Frankly, trackir just isn't designed to work well past 60 degrees or so which is about as far as someone with a fixed monitor is going to look anyway. Maybe with all this VR stuff, they'll upgrade to some kind of Google Cardboard inspired headset that can track your movements all the way around like an oculus or HTC Vibe headset.

I think the only practical application for what I have going is for instrument training since you'd only be looking around the dash anyway but meh, you might as well just forget about it.

I'm not planning on oculus anytime soon, but it's probably a much better experience. 700 bucks (when you count tax and shipping) should really get you more than that. I think I'll wait it out for the second generation, price drop, or another company like HTC or samsung making a better alternative. I mean ******* christ a regular samsung phone already has better resolution. There's no telling with the galaxy s8 will be, and I'm sure VR headsets will catch up. 

If anyone else has similar equipment and knows trinusVR well, please let us know if you find a way to use the phone's internal sensors for the look feature, cuz if you can find a way, that would be about a 90% solution as an Oculus alternative. The only thing it wouldn't track is head position, only angle.

I know's there's a way cuz the internal phone tracking works amazingly well for all the other cardboard/gearVR style stuff.  I'm just not sure if there's a software solution currently available to get it to work well with trinus and FSX. If anyone has any programmer friends who can figure that out, that would be awesome.