Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Freeware Aircraft/Scenery

Guest JamesDwyer767

Hi allI have been simming for a while now, but always end up looking enviously at others screenshots, and how great they are. I your wise opinion as simmers, what are the best freeware programs for scenery/aircraft? I know that the best are probably payware, but being a poor student I can't usually afford that luxury! Your feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated.Also, whilst I'm here, a quik question about ATC. On long flights (like Narita to JFK, which I just completed), I often go away from the screen or have a nap, you know the score. Howevr, because I don't respond to ATC calls, the system cancels my IFR (!) and puts me on a VFR flight. This means that I can only contact my destination when I'm real close, and have to leave a lot of the descent and landing preparation to the last minute? Any solutions? Or am I just going to have to sit by the screen...(could be worse!)Thanks in anticipationJamesDwyer767

HelloLast question first:When you are ready to leave your pc, wait for a hand off, tune the new frequency but do not contact it. ATC will be in limbo until your are ready to contact it again. When you do (I usually wait until I am 150 miles from my destination), it will tell you to turn several times. Just ignore it until it says "resume own navigation." After that, continue on your flight as were before.First question:There are lot of very nice freeware aircraft out there. Search AVSIM for POSKY (Project Open Sky http://www.projectopensky.com/downloads-index.php) for 747-400, 747-300, 747-200, 767-300, 767-200, 757-300, 757-200, A330, A340.Search AVSIM for IFDG for MD11, A321, A320, A319, A318Search AVSIM for SGA, Kittyhawk or Vistaliners for all 737's, DC-10's, DC-9's and MD-80's, 727-200For 707's Dc-8's Convairs and other retro stuff go to HJG: http://www.simufly.com/hjg/

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Also, If you are new to add ons, you need to learn how to install everything properly. I'm sure there are a number of tutorials available. The one I used way back when is at http://www.flightsim.com. The also have a list of files that you should download when you get started.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad