Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

duckbilled

Bronze
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by duckbilled

  1. Is Bijan's product the only one that shows runways in snowy conditions?
  2. I'm thinking about purchasing Accuseason. Is it still the best option for the foreseeable future?
  3. Did you try the method below? It seems like it is a requirement, and it is what fixed it for me. Like so much stuff with this sim, MS/AS has jest left us to figure out basic stuff on our own. By basic, I mean things like how to start the darn sim. I don't have an XBox or a previous XBox account so starting the sim through the XBox app was incredible intuitive. Of course, when you are used to creating games strictly for gamers, you assume that everyone has an XBox account and is accustomed to starting all their games through that app. They need to remember that some of the biggest hardcore FS fans are over 60 years old, and they should make assumptions like that.
  4. I think this counts as an official update. I also think it is a bit far along to become vaporware. http://flightsimcentral.net/need-know-quality-wings-787/
  5. What isn't old is DTW is back on and now in beta. It was announced a couple days ago.
  6. Seems to working fine for me. I flew out of there over the weekend and did not notice any issues.
  7. Is the view moving to another preset view or to some random position? If it is another view, do you have key commands assigned to the views? Is it possible that you have duplicate keyboard/joystick commands?
  8. Thanks. Is that for FSX cameras or EZCA cameras? Not really an issue for me, because all of my wing view cameras are defined as internal cameras in EZCA anyway, but curious. The actual issue I mentioned is I didn't pick a good test case to test the QW's HD shadows - I had them enabled, didn't see shadows and disabled them. After enabling them again and taking off from DTW at 10 AM and doing circles, I the shadows performed as expected.
  9. Hi, VC shadows seem to be working for me but the edges are very jagged. In the default Maule, the jagged edges are not that noticeable, but in the QW757, the edges are very jagged and the shadows seem to, for lack of a better term, crawl around the vc. They appear lick splotches rather than shadows. Does anyone have any experience with VC shadows in the QW757? Or, are there any ways I can improve the appearance of the vc shadows. I am using FSX, BTW. Thanks.
  10. The update hosed drivers on my laptop. I colleague of mine also had similar problems. I like the OS, but I am not installing it on my FSX rig.
  11. Hi, I have been a little out of the loop for a while on add ons, but I was watching a few YouTube videos and I am seeing graphics/atmosphere in lesser rigs that put my experience to shame. Yes, I have used a few of the guides for set up (NickN, AVSIM, Word Not Allowed...), but the colors and lighting are totally off. My current rig is about a year old, but I have not really put it through its paces. On my last system, I played around with Shade and ENB, but I have not installed either on the new system. What are the current/best options for achieving better results? Right now, I DX9 and I have 1 27" Monitor at 2560x1440. This is what I understand is available: P3DV3: I would upgrade to this - I think most of my add on scenery will work but even though I do have a GSX license, I am pretty attached to ASE. I never bothered installing GSX on the new system. Shade: I bought the thing but I can't even remember if I liked it ENB: I think I stuck with ENB, but I think I had issues with the dark panels/gauges at dusk DX10 Fixer: I believe switching to DX10 would help, but I have no idea what the fixer does or if all of my add ons will work afterwards Sweet FX: This came out after I unplugged from FSX for a while. I have no idea what it is all about. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? -Jeff
  12. I have a lot of AI and I have never seen AI on replay at any airport - not in FSX and not in FS9. It has always been my understanding that AI are disabled for replay. I have a number of Aerosoft product, and I have been generally happy with my purchases over the years.
  13. They do have input selection, but when there is no signal, they automatically cycle through all of the options searching for an input. They are not identifying the DP signal, but DVI & HDMI are recognized.
  14. No, I am using DP to DP. Monitor has DP, DVI-DL and HDMI. Card has DP(3), HDMI(1) and DVI(1)
  15. Thanks for the response. I totally posted the wrong link - that's the one I replaced. Sorry for the confusion. Here is the correct link (I still can't believe I got these for $199 ea). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009849 Right now I have settled with DVI-DL for my main monitor and HDMI for the other and everything is working well. I would, however, like them both on DP. Thanks.
  16. Hi, I just got two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824238018 I was using two LG 23" monitors until one died. Before, 1 was using DVI and the other was using HDMI. My card, MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G has 3 display port, 1 DVI and one HDMI. Neither of my monitors will recognize the display port signal, but they will recognize HDMI. When plugged in, neither are recognized by Windows using display port. When they are plugged in using HDMI, they are recognized at their native resolution. Can anyone please help me figure this out? Thanks
  17. I ended up going with two of these. With the coupon code and the sale, they came out to $199 each and they are 1ms. They may not be the best ones out there, but compared to other 2k 27" monitors with display ports, the price is very good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-009-849 EDIT: The specs say 1ms and the description says 6ms. I'm guessing from the price that they are 6ms. Either way, the price is right.
  18. I have the 65" version of that TV and love it. I don't, however, use it as a computer monitor - only for tv/home theater. At some point, I'm sure I will schlep my rig up to the family room to see what it looks like, but I don't think my wife would appreciate it.
  19. Hi, Right now have have two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824238018. One of them died a couple days ago, and I really need two matching monitors when I work from home (database work, GIS, spreadsheets...). My card has 3 display port, 1 hdmi and one DVI. The new monitor needs display port. I fly FSX and I have one MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G. I prefer to fly with one monitor and it sit about 24" from the screen. Since I need to buy two, price is a big concern. I'd like to pick up two for about $500 total so I think 2 27" 2k monitors will be the best I can do. Back when I purchased mu current monitors, I read that 2ms or less response time is a must, but the 1ms monitors I am seeing are too expensive. Is 2ms or less really necessary for FSX? If I can go up to 6ms, I have a lot more options. Does anyone have any suggestions or must have specs given my price point? Thanks!!
  20. See this for AES support: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/101267-aerosoft-aes-v-240a/ You will need the update, but it looks it was just released.
  21. For EZdok view, I use a Logitech G13. It works fine for me and I keep is simple. Each key is mapped to an open key command and assigned to roughly the same view for every aircraft. Top row is for VC views - pilot on the left, FO on the right, panel, pedestal... in the middle. Cabin view are the second row - left wing view on left, right wing view on right, others in the middle. This method gives me 22 possible views with 7 reserved for VC - more than enough for me.
  22. Watch the video. The developer's documentation is terrible, but if you stick to the basics, it isn't bad and the results are great. Now that I know what I am doing, it takes less than 5 minutes for me to configure new aircraft with multiple cockpit and cabin views.
  23. Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Mustang, but isn't it an older product? How are the vc textures and the cockpit night lighting? I love the look of the Phenom, but I have had a few issues with Carenado stuff in the past. I really plan to use it for short flights around the Caribbean and Gulf Coast. As far as the advice on FS flying style, I hear what you are saying, but I do want to fly with the AP. I just need something I can load an FSX flight plan into and get in the air quickly. As for practicing - I don't have time. Because I've mostly flown the QW757 for a while and I need more time to put in a realistic 757 flight, I think I have flown less than 10 times this year - and that's after building a brand new 4790k rig in February. I want to take advantage of my new system and I think a bizjet with the complexity/flexibility of the QW stuff is what I need. Their Rj would work, but it really isn't flown in the Western Hemisphere anymore. The Aerosoft CRJ may be a good option once it is released. I don't fly because I actually want to pilot aircraft. I fly to clear my mind. I turn off the lights, put on headphones, listen to the hum of the engines, watch the AI and enjoy the scenery. To me, it is very relaxing. If I get 90 minutes to myself, I want to spend it in the air (or at least taxiing around an airport with beautiful scenery and lots of AI) and not trying to remember how to start the f%$&!*g engines or clear a warning light. Of course, like many of us, I have always been fascinated with commercial aircraft, but I don't have a strong interest in mastering the skills needed to pilot one. I have been an AVSIM member for about 15 years. I am well aware of the options we have as simmers, and I am also aware that most of the beautiful commercial airlines available these days have a steep learning curve that most simmers relish. If I flew regularly, I'd pick one (NGX probably) and master it. I don't fly regularly, so I'm really looking for something that is pretty intuitive for a part time simmer. Thanks again!
  24. Hi, I am looking for a nice bizjet. I've looked at the Carenado offerings, F1 Mustang, Eaglesoft stuff... I really don't need highly realistic systems. I'm more interested in something that is very good looking and has realistic flight dynamics. I do need the ability to load an FSX flightplan. Why don't I want heavy systems? I don't get an opportunity to fly very often, and when I do, I don't have a lot of time. I get so few opportunities to fly I usually forget how to operate the aircraft unless it is dumbed down a little bit. When I do fly, I usually fly the QW757's, but it isn't very realistic for short flights. In short, please don't judge - it is just what works for me. Anyway, does anyone have some good recommendations? Thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.