Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

Any scenery gurus in the house?

Looking for some tips on an airport upgrade I'm attempting.  I'll give you the abridged version.

I upgraded an airport in my p3d using ADE, added lights, asphalt, ILS.  It was a stock airport and worked like a peach.

I'm not attempting to upgrade and airport within an orbx region.   When I open the airport in ADE it has no runway.  I think it's using the terrain as the runway as it only has a super narrow strip in ADE.  If I try to change it in ADE, my runway is way up in the air.  So....  orbx is actually using an invisible runway and instead you land on the terrain.  Ok.  Now, the question is....   how do I add some lights.  I just want to be able to see the joint.

Can I use ADE to add lights as objects??  If so, will they too be way up in the air??  (I was not successful at trying to alter the elevation of my runway in the sky, lol).  I've heard I could use the flight1 scenery tool but don't really want to drop $30 for a few lights.  

What are my other options here?  I just want to do some lights on the end of the runway, maybe the perimeter.  Just for kick I'll toss in an ILS but since that isn't a visible object I don't think that'll be an issue.

Thanks for any help!!! 

You can add lights as objects with ADE.  You can also add Effects which might be the way to get working lights at your airport

You can add an ILS - both the hidden bit that provides the localizer, glideslope and so on - and the visual model

My hero!!!   I'm not aware of what effects are, but in regards to adding objects in ADE....    will those appear at the elevation of the ADE runway?  (which is actually much higher than the orbx runway).

If effects might be the way to go, any additional pointers on that would be delightful!!

As an aside, I find your software fantastic!!  I'm generally pretty computer savvy and haven't had any real pains with it.  It's straight forward enough for most things I'd like to do and it's kept me from borking up stock files.  Then orbx got involved and derailed me, but I'm hoping to get past this as well.

What is a visual model for an ILS??  I know about the localizer and glideslope, but there is a part of it you can see??

Thanks Scruffy!!!!

Well, I've got it almost completely sorted.  After reading through all the gabillion effects available I picked out some lights and got everything dialed in.  Works like a champ.  Unless it's snowing, then only the flashing ones I picked out for the end of the runway work.  The ones down the center don't work with snow.   

Then I've gotta tinker with the ILS.  SInce orbx never changed their runway elevation that is off on the ILS.   I can't sort  out how to change that so I think I can just move the glideslope arrows to where I need them to get me down correctly.   

All in all not bad but any additional pointers would be fantastic!!!

Thanks!!

Nope.  I take that back.  Can't get the center lights working again.  I can't figure out what changed but they got busted.....      :fool: