Sign in to follow this  
Raufvogel

Shut Down - Shut On engine power 747-400

Hello, i like to know how to Shut Off and Shut On engine power for Boarding/Catering at a Gate.

With a lot of help of AVSIM now i know how to handle with B738 and B772 and finally i've to find out how to do with the last PMDG plane.

My first step for Shut OFF,

APU ON

ScreenHunter_572Feb.2916.44.png

After 50 sec APU RUNNING appears in EICAS panel

ScreenHunter_572Feb.2916.34.png

Now i think

APU GEN1 en APU GEN2 (outside off BATTERY) must ON

APU BLEED somewhere

ENGINE BLEED

FUEL CONTROLS switch to CUTOF 4x

uScreenHunter_572Feb.2917.16.png

Then Shut On

Packs 1 and Packs 3 turn to OFF...

Start both engines, but how to do?

FUEL CONTROLS switch to RUN 4x​

There must be an annunciator to see if engines running i think

Before i go further, maybe some steps going automaticly, i would like some help pls. :blush:

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

Hi Jaap,

Before shutting the engines down you should retract the flaps (normally you would do this while taxying from the runway to the gate). You can start the APU while taxying too. Once at the gate with flaps fully retracted, switch all four HYD DEMAND switches to OFF. Switch on the APU bleed air switch, which is just below Pack 2 switch. (For convenience, you can leave the APU bleed switch on at all times. The valve will automatically open when the APU is running.) You can now select APU GEN 1 & 2 switches on and shutdown the engines.

When refuelled and ready to go, commence pushback and switch all packs off. Check the APU is running and APU bleed in ON. To start the engines there are four start switches on the overhead panel. They are marked with a white dot painted above them. You can start two engines at a time, first 3 & 4 then 1 & 2. Select the start switch on for 3 and 4, then put 3 & 4 fuel switches to RUN. Engine start is automatic. Note during engine start the start switch will illuminate. When engines 3 & 4 are stable repeat the process for engines 1 & 2. With all four engines running, switch the four HYD demand pumps to AUTO and switch on all three packs. Shut down the APU.

There is no ENGINE RUNNING annunciator. You need to monitor EICAS engine indications. Check the N1 and EGT indications on EICAS, when running at idle the indications will look like your screenshot. You can read N2 and fuel flow on the lower EICAS ENG page.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thank you very much for helping me Kevin, i'ts difficult to find the right documentation about this matter...

In the mean time i've found 2 hour ago a comparable solution by my self...

Shut Engines OFF

APU on RUNNIING

Both FUEL CONTROLLERS on CUTOFF

Shut Engines ON

Pull OUT the four START switches.

APU GEN_1 and GEN_2 on ON

Both FUEL CONTROLLERS on RUN

And both engines will running automatically again.

But on my way appear after turning off many warnings in the EICAS panel

ScreenHunter_575Mar.0120.13.png

Now i've to read your recommendations very carefull, and have to try out again.

I'm very glad you gave me this information, so i can manage all the 3 PMDG planes at a GATE now.

Also i will set the flaps later.

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

Hello Kevin, everything is okay now. For sure i want to know if i have not to switch off 1x APU BLEED so you mentioned at the begin.

(For convenience, you can leave the APU bleed switch on at all times. The valve will automatically open when the APU is running.)

ScreenHunter_577Mar.0123.38.png

I've maked a fine tutorial about this matter, thank you for the assist.

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

Glad you got it working. When the APU isn't running the APU bleed air valve will be closed, even if the switch is on. You don't have to switch it off when you shutdown the APU.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I made a small tutorial and have thereby omitted APU BLEED, and after trying everything went well.
Many thanks for any help, I am again a step further, now after Cold & Dark startup still learning, haha

​Regards. Jaap Mooijer