Sign in to follow this  
Stoli151

Steve's fixer and Carenado C172N nav and strobe lights

I have just purchased Steve's fixer and have everything working well. I do have one issue now however. After I installed my Carenado 172n all the lights worked fine, I believe the lights are supposed to have native support for dx10. I closed FSX. I entered the fixer controller to change something and it asked me if I wanted to scan the effects folder and fix problems so I did that. The next time I entered FSX and used my 172 my navs and strobes all had a squarish appearance to them. All the default aircraft I switched to were fine. So I reinstalled my 172 and when the fixer controller asked me if I wanted to scan the changes I selected ignore. Now everything works fine with my 172. So my question is, how do I prevent the fixer from "fixing" the lights on my 172 the next time I add another plane or scenery and it asks me to scan the effects folder?

Actually you almost certainly have a missing texture so your 172  lights aren't really working 100% properly in DX9 or DX10 - lights consist of a number of textures drawn at direct sizes to simulate the bulb, light glow and star effect etc.   One of these is missing

If you turn on missing texture alert  you will get a popup telling you the name of the missing Carenado texture.

You can do this either by google and editing fsx.cfg  or use the controller fsx.settings gui to edit your fsx.cfg for you.

When you have the name of the texture then  turn off missing texture alert.

There are then three possibilities

1) carenado forgot to ship it with the  C172  and there is a patch

2) carenado  forgot to ship it with the C172 and there isn't a patch - contact them I guess.

3)  It is shipped with the C172 but its used by another carenado aircraft which  you uninstalled after installing the C172 and that has removed it - reinstalling the aircraft will fix this case.

If you want you can instead just exclude the light from being converted - see the end of chapter 13 in the manual.

There are then three possibilities

1) carenado forgot to ship it with the  C172  and there is a patch
2) carenado  forgot to ship it with the C172 and there isn't a patch - contact them I guess.
3)  It is shipped with the C172 but its used by another carenado aircraft which  you uninstalled after installing the C172 and that has removed it - reinstalling the aircraft will fix this case.
Ok, thanks for the info Steve.  :smile: