Sign in to follow this  
samisahusky

scenery elevation

I have the same problem at 2 free-ware add-on scenery for FSX, MWCR and MYNN. From above, the scenery looks fine, but once you get to ground level (or zoom in using top-down view), it gets messed up. Also with MWCR at the ends of the runway it looks like the tire marks are floating a few feet above the surface (forgot to get a screenshot of this). I have UTX installed for USA, Europe, and Caribbean with all add-on scenery higher than UTX in FSX. Any way to fix this?

top-down%20zoom%20128_zpsreyjgbyw.jpg
Top-down%20zoom%2096_zpsla9rvmm3.jpg
ground%20view_zpshlo00hqb.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You have got what looks like either an add-on runway or fsx default with texture add-ons running,  showing through from under a runway on a background image and further down the runway it looks like the  runway re-surfaces... no idea why it should be happening but it suggests there are either two airports in your library or the add-on has two runways embedded in it. As the 'higher' runway is a background image I'm also guessing the lower runway is the 'real' one which should be edited so as to stay invisible... a clue must be in the strange diagonal behaviour of that problem.. its hard to see but it looks like that altitude difference of maybe 2-3 feet goes on for some distance. I'd start by putting each airport into ADE and check them out and see if there are exclusion zones etc  as something is causing that diagonal issue and once thats known you can work out the fix... plus use ADE to check the editing values of the 'lower' runway.

p.s. .. and what is that horrible black area.. whilst you have ADE open , I suggest fix it up... looking at it a bit closer I thinks thats part of the issue as that area runs directly into the vertical 'slip' across the runway.

You have got what looks like either an add-on runway or fsx default with texture add-ons running, showing through from under a runway on a background image and further down the runway it looks like the runway re-surfaces... no idea why it should be happening but it suggests there are either two airports in your library or the add-on has two runways embedded in it. As the 'higher' runway is a background image I'm also guessing the lower runway is the 'real' one which should be edited so as to stay invisible... a clue must be in the strange diagonal behavior of that problem.. its hard to see but it looks like that altitude difference of maybe 2-3 feet goes on for some distance. I'd start by putting each airport into ADE and check them out and see if there are exclusion zones etc as something is causing that diagonal issue and once that's known you can work out the fix... plus use ADE to check the editing values of the 'lower' runway.

p.s. .. and what is that horrible black area.. whilst you have ADE open , I suggest fix it up... looking at it a bit closer I thinks thats part of the issue as that area runs directly into the vertical 'slip' across the runway.

The scenery is mwcr2015.zip from AVSim website. This was my first MWCR add-on so it should be just the mwcr2015.zip file and the stock. both have the same airport elevation.

The black area is only seen in-sim since the ADE file shows that area as concrete. Looks like tarmac in the sim up close.

there are a lot of files inside the scenery file but ADE will only open 1. I dont have the programs or the knowledge to work with other scenery editors. There are 60 BGL files in the scenery folder. 10 of which are named with MWCR in the title so I wouldn't even know where to start even if I could open the BGL files. only 1 of all the 60 there will open in ADEX.

I did find 2 BGL files in the UTacAirports folder installed by UTX. I removed them and reloaded FSX and the problem is still there.

I did just notice there is a file in the scenery/world/scenery folder that is named UTX_MWCR_TAC.BGl .. this file will open in ADEX however there is nothing there. However, the airport elevation for this file shows it as 5.000 feet, where as the add-on scenery and FSX Stock have the elevation as 7.999 feet .. could this be the problem?

Edited by samisahusky

I made a backup and changed the airport elevation and compiled, and started FSX. no visual change to the scenery. There is in the add-on scenery a file called background.BGL .. I think this file may be the issue but I can't edit it directly in ADEX. Is there some kind of exclusion I cod put down to fix this? Here is another screenshot (after all other MWCR files removed from FSX and airport elevation adjusted). The lines are not all straight lines and seem to be corrected at ramps, and where taxiways meet the runway, but not the runway or the surrounding scenery itself.

ramp_zpszaofay9x.jpg
line%20break%20mwcr_zps4i65rnuw.jpg

Im looking at the hangars in the distance .. they seem to be buried in the ground too so there are a few issues to fix up.

I would remove the background.bgl from the Addon Scenery and see what happens (Just remove it.. not delete it). That will most likely be containing the background image and after seeing what the land surface is like when its not in there will give you a better idea of whats going on and a place to start "hunting" for a fix. Like you say I suspect the cause has something to do with that file but no idea why.

just thought.. open the airport in ADE and see if there is an airport background poly in there.. if there is none then the terrain probably wont be flat.. the author may have been trying to do a runway over uneven ground and not got it quite right. The fact that the hangar in the distance looks to be 10 feet in the ground makes me suspect there is no airport background poly.. if there was the whole airport should be perfectly flat... regardless the hangar should sit on the surface whatever it is but fsx seems to be able to always come up with some new tricks.