Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

Shimmer and Shake

Spent the kids' inheritance on fancy new computer, configured hopefully for best fs9 experience. Frame rates superb, but I'm bugged by that accursed shimmer. I had it licked on my old computer, but the same settings on my new one don't reduce it. After days of juggling, the best I can arrive at is by keeping AA at 4, reducing AF from 8 to 4, and increasing mipmap from 4 to 7. But that's a compromise, and and there's still enough shimmer to be a distraction. I begin to wonder if maybe that could be down to my new LCD monitor with all its pixels firing away - but outside fs9, the picture is extremely sharp. If anyone out there who has conquered the shimmer problem could let me know their settings, I'd be very grateful. [Nvidia has a new 78 beta driver claimed to be anti-shimmer, but it's for the Geforce 700 series, so presumbly wouldn't help my 6800]AMD 4000+Geforce 6800GT2 gigs RAM300 hard drive19" Viewsonic LCD

Guest JSPuonti

You're saying that if you have your MIP-map setting in FS2004 at 4, you get more shimmering in tree and building textures than on a setting of 7?I'm curious because that's exactly the opposite of what you should be experiencing :) At MIP-map 7 you should see much more shimmering than on 4.