Sign in to follow this  
MG49

Layoff Is Over And I'm Back - Got A Few Quick Questions Please?

Hi there people it has been at least a year since I've visited avsim and it's good to be back.  Been steadily/fairly consistently getting some flights in.......mostly short hops in the CRJ using FSX and it's going well so now I would like to branch out and connect with other fs pilots and groups to fly with.

Here's the thing....since I've been away I got a new computer but it came with no dvd player to load my old FSX Gold discs so I opted to jump onto Steam which wasn't around the last time I came on.  Trouble is...in Steam the multiplayer option seems VERY limited as far as participation/interaction etc....like for example it doesn't allow me to join ANY group via "connect directly" using their number sequence address that they give out on the websites.  I seem to recall back when I was using Gold that there were MANY more sessions I could join and the people were FAR more professional and interactive (the Steam groups seem to be mostly kids horsing around and talking junk) so that said can anybody direct me what steps I need to take in order to join up with some groups to fly with....like some really good ones that also host ATC??

Btw just in case......I took to transferring all of the files on the 3 discs of Gold to a USB thumb drive that I now have at the ready if it turns out that your responses indicate that this is indeed preferable to Steam. I can see all the files listed when I open up the thumb but have no clue how to add it all into the new computer although from everything I've read it looks like the "setup.exe" file on disc one is the place to begin? 

Also can anybody comment on what would be....at least minimally/at the very least.......the best add ons I should bring in now in order to enhance the experience?  I live in South Florida and my home airport is KPBI (Palm Beach International) so it would be cool to get a local scenery package.

Also any good ideas out there as far as freebies and freeware?

As I recall I think I can add a lot of planes here in avsim correct?  This isn't necessarily a huge deal for me right now as I want to continue to master the RJ.

I know this seems like a lot of questions but thank you people and ANY insights/assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!! 

All the best,

Mitch