Sign in to follow this  
speckfire

SCDS Yak-40: First flight report

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I guess the Russian sim forum has been deleted due to inactivity.Just had my first "real" flight in the Yak-40 after spending the last few days preparing a procedures document for myself and practising take-offs and such. I flew from Domodedovo (UUDD) to Strigino (UWGG) with real weather and under FS2004 ATC, a distance of about 224 miles, using a visual approach to Strigino.I got a lot of practice with the basic autopilot in the Yak; it's actually easier, I found, to hand-fly the plane than use the autopilot. Once the Yak is trimmed, it flies pretty well almost hands-off. I had a bit of difficulty navigating from NDB to NDB. I understand the concept, but I've just got to re-re-re-read :-) the manual to ensure I know which ADF I use for each frequency.I found landing the Yak a little challenging: you have to keep your eye on your airspeed, stick to the proper attitude, make sure you hit the mark on the flaps and gear schedules, all the while watching out for the runway. I felt as if I needed three hands.Anyway, I had a great time flying around Russia this afternoon.Cheers!Joel (now near CYNJ)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Thanks for the info Joel, I was kind of eyeing the SCDS Yak-40 for a while now. I want to wait till the release of version 2 before I get it.

John Sark