Sign in to follow this  
koala63

Fire eng 1 on final approach, what can cause that?

Hi,

Yesterday i was going to Abidjan and i got a engine fire, all parameters for landing was fine then i lost number 1 and hear a "Boum" song coming from behind.. i was totaly confused about what happen now and i don't really know th procédure in this case.Lucky i am, i always reccord my landings with fraps (it's a very important part of learn for me cause you can see after what mistake you do) so the vidéo is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN2SeL3SQlg

Can someone tell me what can doing that ? 

Most likely a random failure. The failure rate is in th"...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\mjc8q400\ini" folder in the mjc84.ini file. Open the ini file and look for WearOffFactor=10.0. 0 is no failures, 10 is 10x normal failure rate.

The basic engine fire drill is the same for most aircraft. First rule is don't forget to fly the plane (you shouldn't been have stalled)! Then silence the alarms, confirm which engine is on fire, pull the fire handle and discharge the fire extinguisher (and pull the normal fuel cutoff or feather props). Then call mayday and land ASAP. There will be aircraft specific additional items and checklists but those core basics are essential.

When "CHECK FIRE DET" illuminated you cancelled the master warning but never looked at the fire detection panel; so you never pulled the red fire handle or extinguished the fire, it continued burning! Instead you switched to spot view, which I think contributed to your stall (not all engine fires will be externally visible to begin with, you shouldn't be jumping between views when you're handling an emergency). It would also help if you had the cockpit backlighting turned on as it was a struggle to see anything on the overhead panel.

Final note, as the engine fire was not confirmed extinguished, you should have turned the aircraft so wind was blowing fire away from the fuselage and initiated an evacuation on the runway.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for you answer  :smile:

Yeah i switch to exterior view to see what happen but as you said after i begin a dangerous stall on the left after doing that, i make greats mistakes but i was really scared about crash the plane... on real world i will not here to write this message cause i died :(  

it was fun to watch the video, i thought you made a nice save despite the stalls, its certainly tricky to respond with complete coolness to an unexpected event like this especially if you haven't trained the procedure before.

cheers

-andy crosby

Yeah,  i just can hope that will not happen in real world for real pilots because trained or not trained a fire on board is a very dangerous case.