Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

kodiak rpm question

hello there

my RPM seems to cap out around 1917 in the kodiak when the condition lever is pushed all the way up.

i looked in the performance manual  and most of their numbers seems to indicate that 2200 is the max for takeoff and 2000 is for climb or fast cruise.

manual link is here, an example page is 5-44  -> http://questaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/KODIAK_AIM.pdf

is there something amiss with my settings that is preventing reaching this value or am i misunderstanding something about the operation?

i have been 'eyeballing' the setting, putting it in the green band and not worrying about the exact value and it seems to fly well but i'm not really sure if i'm doing things properly.

the mixture lever doesn't really seem to affect much either other than being a cutoff switch? or are the effects just very subtle to notice? is this just one of those side effect of the buggy turboprop modeling in fsx without doing an external custom model? 

cheers

-andy crosby

Andy, turbine engines do not have or use a "mixture control". In the sim that control acts as a fuel on/off device. I simply set my CH yoke's mixture lever fully forward for turbines and jets.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Andy, turbine engines do not have or use a "mixture control". In the sim that control acts as a fuel on/off device. I simply set my CH yoke's mixture lever fully forward for turbines and jets.

thanks.. i have been flying it without adjusting so i guess i'm operating that part correctly. i wonder if there a reason it is a lever and not just a switch? there is also a fuel cutoff switch on the center console near the lever, i guess those are for redundancy?  the manual is a bit unclear as it says to set the condition lever to 40% for startup and taxi but it specifically says the 'red condition lever' even though that one is actually blue.

i'm still curious about the numbers on the engine settings, my RPM values look anything like the ones in the POH, capping out at 1900 and the middle of the green band is around 1600. i also noticed that my torque indicator is a percentage, instead of showing ft-lbs like the POH and in the manual from lionheart also, i need to investigate if that is configurable in the mfd settings. 

cheers

-andy crosby

With the turbine models, the 'condition lever' (which is actually the mixture lever) will control fast idle and low idle conditions, as well as act as a fuel cutoff when pulled fully back. It's crude but does work, mostly.

As for the prop rpm, I couldn't begin to guess. I haven't had the Kodiak installed for several years now...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator