Sign in to follow this  
vortex681

Weather radar - options?

I've been looking at some weather radar options recently and as the new REX Wx Advantage Radar has just been released, I thought it might be a good time to look at what's available. As there seemed to be a little friction in the other REX Wx Advantage Radar thread, I decided to start a new one. I use ASN as my weather engine.

Gauges I've tried:

1.  ASN XGauge - 2D popup, cosmetically not great and not very realistic looking but it works and has plenty of functions (over and above the normal wx gauge). Free with ASN.

2.  Roland's weather radar gauge - 2D popup and can also be manually integrated into the VC. The popup knobs are not animated but it works well and looks quite realistic but only works with ASN. Free - available from the Avsim library as "Weather Radar VC & pop-up Gauge".

I haven't tried the REX gauge but it looks very realistic and, apparently, works with all weather engines. It seems to be just a 2D popup unless specifically integrated into the VC by the aircraft developers - can't be done manually. It's payware and I'm reluctant to pay for what I can get for free, particularly as none of my add-ons currently support the VC integrated version.

Are there any other options out there?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!