Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

4k monitor - adding second monitor for guages p3dv3.2 - NOT WORKING

I am at my wits end.

I am trying to set up an additional monitor for the gauges and I am about to commit myself to a sanitarium.

I have 2x 980 in sli driving a 4k monitor @ 3840 x 2160, and I have an additional Titan in the same computer driving a 1920x1080 monitor.

No matter what I do, this does not work, the moment I move a guage over - BSD.

How are the others doing it with a 4k and smaller monitors?

I have been all over the internet and I had thought I had found the correct solution but all roads led me to the sanitarium....

Please help if you can, thank you.

Nick

Nick Sciortino

I am at my wits end.

I am trying to set up an additional monitor for the gauges and I am about to commit myself to a sanitarium.

I have 2x 980 in sli driving a 4k monitor @ 3840 x 2160, and I have an additional Titan in the same computer driving a 1920x1080 monitor.

No matter what I do, this does not work, the moment I move a guage over - BSD.

How are the others doing it with a 4k and smaller monitors?

I have been all over the internet and I had thought I had found the correct solution but all roads led me to the sanitarium....

Please help if you can, thank you.

Nick

Nvidia's FAQs are pretty old but this might still be relevant:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#s1

"How many monitors are supported when running in SLI mode?

With GeForce R180 drivers (or later), standard SLI configurations for 2-way, 3-Way, and quad SLI support a maximum of two monitors. Additional monitors (up to 6 monitors total enabled) may be enabled by using either a motherboard GPU and/or a PhysX capable graphics card (GeForce 8 series or higher with at least 256MB of memory) that does not have the same GPU as those that are SLI enabled."

Since the 980 and the Titan share the same Maxwell gpu you might be breaking the restriction mentioned in the last line above even though you are only using two monitors.

Are you sure your setup is the best way to go?

Why not run the 4K off the Titan and the 1080 off one 980?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Nvidia's FAQs are pretty old but this might still be relevant:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#s1

"How many monitors are supported when running in SLI mode?

With GeForce R180 drivers (or later), standard SLI configurations for 2-way, 3-Way, and quad SLI support a maximum of two monitors. Additional monitors (up to 6 monitors total enabled) may be enabled by using either a motherboard GPU and/or a PhysX capable graphics card (GeForce 8 series or higher with at least 256MB of memory) that does not have the same GPU as those that are SLI enabled."

Since the 980 and the Titan share the same Maxwell gpu you might be breaking the restriction mentioned in the last line above even though you are only using two monitors.

Are you sure your setup is the best way to go?

Why not run the 4K off the Titan and the 1080 off one 980?

gb.

I am pretty sure that the 980ti has a Maxwell GPU and the Titan has a Kepler GPU.

If I read it correctly they should work but they do not.

Nick Sciortino

I am pretty sure that the 980ti has a Maxwell GPU and the Titan has a Kepler GPU.
If I read it correctly they should work but they do not.

You said you had the 980 not a 980Ti.  ??

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You said you had the 980 not a 980Ti.  ??

gb.

My mistake, sorry

Nick Sciortino

Nick,

Have you tried with SLI disabled?  

Cheers, Rob.

Nick,

Have you tried with SLI disabled?  

Cheers, Rob.

Rob - I have tried these combinations to no avail..

980ti + 980ti sli on 4k multiple resolutions, Titan (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

980ti on 4k multiple resolutions, Titan (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

Titan + Titan sli on 4k multiple resolutions, 980ti (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

The one thing I cannot try is having the same resolutions or refresh rate on both screens, I cannot drop the 4k to 1920x1080....

Nick

Nick Sciortino

I see one constant in your combinations.  I'm assuming when you wrote (Physx) you mean you have that GPU manually assigned to the PhysX setting.  Have you tried setting PhysX to Auto-select?

Todd

I see one constant in your combinations.  I'm assuming when you wrote (Physx) you mean you have that GPU manually assigned to the PhysX setting.  Have you tried setting PhysX to Auto-select?

Todd

Yes I have done that and still it terminates to a BSD

Nick Sciortino

Rob - I have tried these combinations to no avail..

980ti + 980ti sli on 4k multiple resolutions, Titan (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

980ti on 4k multiple resolutions, Titan (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

Titan + Titan sli on 4k multiple resolutions, 980ti (Physx)on 1920x1080 = BSD

The one thing I cannot try is having the same resolutions or refresh rate on both screens, I cannot drop the 4k to 1920x1080....

Nick

Wow!, you have two Ti's and two Titans to play with?

In a way that is a nice problem to have.  :)

I understand that you want your investments to work but meanwhile since a second monitor being only used for 2D gauges usually does not tax the system too much why not forget about the Titans and run both monitors on the 980Ti's in SLI.

Or you could just sell everything and get one or two Pascals.  :)

gb.

Wow!, you have two Ti's and two Titans to play with?

In a way that is a nice problem to have.  :)

I understand that you want your investments to work but meanwhile since a second monitor being only used for 2D gauges usually does not tax the system too much why not forget about the Titans and run both monitors on the 980Ti's in SLI.

Or you could just sell everything and get one or two Pascals.  :)

gb.

Well I want to be able to drive more than just the gauges, I wanted to set up a map and other views.

Nick Sciortino