Sign in to follow this  
Ident

eVGA 980TI VR issue with Oculus Rift

Fellow simmers, to help get the word out of what is now a known issue with two models of the eVGA 980TI VR card, I'd like to say this in hopes to help others before they get their OR if by chance you are one of the unlucky ones like me.

The video card I brought specific for VR has hardware issues on a few P/IN models.  eVGA knows about it and will RMA the cards to the customers like me.  The video card in question is the eVGA GTX 980TI VR which has a front port HDMI port and two USB 3 ports specific for ease of use with the Oculus Rift. Only thing is that two models are having issues where the HDMI port will work with some HDMI monitors but not Oculus Rift and the user will see a black screen but will have audio and the Oculus Rift App will detect a working connection for the HDMI and USBs.

Here is what eVGA said in one of their forum post:
Hi Everyone,

If you own a model 06G-P4-3996-KR or 06G-P4-3998-KR and are having trouble with your Oculus VR device then please contact us as we believe to have a solution to assist.

Email: Support@evga.com
Phone: 1-888-881-3842 Option 1

That is found in this thread:
http://forums.evga.com/980-Ti-VR-Edition-w-525-Drive-Bay-m2445107-p2.aspx#2469686 post#39

I got my Oculus Rift Friday (13th  go figure) and have this issue.  Basically you just dont get anything on the screen.  I thought it was going to be a OR hardware issue and had to do a fair amount of searching and emails exchange with OR to finally find out what the real issue is.  Some can get it to work by getting an HDMI extension cable to reach the HDMI port in the back of the card. Other have used a HDMI to DVI-I adapter. Its Sunday here and I cant get to the store to buy any of that to test until tomorrow when the stores open again.

eVGA will RMA the card sending out a new one to replace the bad one if you have one of those model numbers but do yourself a favor and if you have that card get it switched out now before you get your OR so you are ready to go when you get yours.

Hope this helps.

Nathan
Nantucket, MA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!