Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Why did I ran out of fuel

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I was on Bushnet last night with the Baron 58TC, real time and weather.I planned a flight from KWWD (Cape May county) to my home feild, Slatington 69N. 12% fuel seemed like plenty, gas is cheaper in Slatington:-) My route was OOD ETX 010 to Slatington 4500'. No one else was on.Then Arkie came on, and I typed I'd do some hops with him when I landed. He said he would come to me. I told him the closest airport to me was KPHL- which was true. But it was off my starboard wingtip, and I should have told him PAT- it was directly ahead, on my route of flight. Live and learn.I entered a hold over ETX, and waited for him to catch up- in a Maule. I went to spot looking for him while George flew the hold- completely forgetting the fuel guages. I even mantained cruise speed in the hold. Learn more.I got visual, then he did. Waited for him to get closer then told him I would proceed at 100 knots- Blueline for me. At two miles separation I did. A few minutes later he said he was doing 150- hey the Maule is faster than I thought. I figured 125 with flaps still at the first notch would be easier than retracting and retrimming for 150. A little after I accelerated there was sputtering, the sound of silence, and suddenly my fuel guages moved up on my list of priorities.Feathered both, cowl flaps closed- but forgot the notch I had hanging.I tried for KABE, as luck would have it I was direcly BETWEEN runways 6 and 13, 10 miles out with one small favor- wind 205 at 8 knots.What was I thinking? Hundreds of perfect flights, and I have to screw up like this with an audience. So of course, I was set to screw up more...It became clear I would not make KABE, but I cheated and gave myself 10% fuel. To punish myself, I only started the starboard engine.Arkie was ahead of me, headed for 69N.He slowed for the aproach, to runway 10, caught up fairly easy and stayed a few miles back. Typed a few things back and forth.I had labels on, could tell he was clear of the runway when I was at 500 feet. But I wanted to be "official" and tell him I was on final so he could watch my beautifuly set up (so far) single engine landing. But as I was hunting and pecking- you guessed it, I got myself over my head.Wound up right where I was when I had "alt"ed to put the fuel in.Got back to Arkie, but now was rushing, didn't plan my descent right.Was reluctant at first to put in more flaps, got to the point where I could have done it fine if I had put another notch in but finally it was too late and I went around with the critical engine out."Around" for runway 10 at Slatington is straight for a mountain- it's my home airport, I wasn't ignorant of that fact.Turned for the pass, gained alititude, turned back to go thru the pass ane reenter the pattern.Arkie logged off, and I redeemed myself with a beautiful single engine landing- not really, no one was watching.Next paycheck, I'm getting a mike!Best Regards, Donny:-wave

>First time with 2000 lbs I run out of fuel about midway. I>first noticed that only one engine was running and then none.>I tried landing at a nearby visible airstrip but I failed.>The second time I got to final approach before empty tanks.>Couldn't do much and didn't get to the runway but I wasn't far>from it.>There was a second time!? I don't think I would want to fly with you... :D