Sign in to follow this  
callum112233

X-plane steam question

Just today I was thinking about my installation of X-plane steam edition. I have it installed in 'Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10'

I was thinking. To get the benefit of my 64 bit OS, should it be installed in 'Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10'

Just a thought.

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was thinking. To get the benefit of my 64 bit OS, should it be installed in 'Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10'

The place where you store a software is irrelevant to 32 vs. 64 bit. It's just a way how Windows organizes its programs.

When you look into the X-Plane folder, you will see 2 executable files, x-plane.exe and x-plane-32bit.exe -- there's the difference. By default, X-Plane is launched with the 64-bit exe.

I have it installed in 'Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10'

By default, Steam will install games within it's own directory.  And I do believe Steam is a 32 bit program, so by default it gets installed in 'Program Files (x86)'.  However, as Mario noted, it's irrelevant to the applications that Steam is launching, such as X-Plane.

That said, there are many reasons to install games and sims and such outside of the C drive. I personally have mine installed (through Steam) to a fairly large SSD where it shares space with FSX and P3D, separate from even the rest of my Steam applications.