Sign in to follow this  
lsummer101

Some hardware questions

Well i was fortunate enough to get a GTX 1080 last week but i am not sure its all the bang for the buck. my card is running at 1607 MHz most of the time even with Overclock i played with a few settings just to see how i fair. I took my monitor off 30hz and set it to 60 Hz and locked in vsync to see if the sim would run at 30 FPS with most sliders at max.  It did run better then My GTX 1080 with no overclock. but OOM creeped in fast!!! 

I have gone back to the 30HZ setting on the monitor and adjusted my settings back a bit (removed Vector) and its back to smooth and no OOM. 

OK rant over questions now 

Why did i replace the GTX 980 for the 1080 what benefit will the faster card provide with the monitor locked at 30 FPS by Vsync ? 

Why is the 1080 only using the lower clock speed  most of the time ? 

Monitor question 

I have three monitors connected to the PC but i am only running P3D one one 55" NEC commercial monitor @ 1920x1080  30 Hz the others i use for FSC or vattastic. 

i tried to use the DSR feature in Nvidia settings to upscale to 4K just to see how the sim ran but the screen bled into the other monitors ?? can any one explain why this happens i was under the impression it would only up scale the video in the one monitor? 

My hardware

ASUS Z97a MB , I7 4790k OC to 4.6 with water cooling 

16 GB low latency 2133 mem in two 8 GB stix 

P3D V 3.2.3  Not ready for V 3.3 will wait for the bugs to work out... 

Win 10 64 bit 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Seems like you should have asked these questions before buying. Anyways sounds like you might be thermally limited. What are your terms when running at 60? GPU usage? Not sure on the DSR, miht not be supported with multiple monitors.

Thanks for the reply but i am not limited on thermals i am running 40c - 63 max on full load 

Thanks for the reply but i am not limited on thermals i am running 40c - 63 max on full load

GPU load?

So it took me some time to get back in front of the computer to see what was happening. it seems if the software is set to Vsync with the monitor at 30Hz there is not enought load to make the card work. i reset my monitor to 60hz and found the card jumping to over 2000mhz with a small OC (150Mhz) temps where fine around 55-65 c. I must say the sim is not as smooth as the 30Hz but i did increase the sliders. The 1080 can produce the frame rate but I try to increase the sliders and the frame rate to far the OOM kicks right in.  The sim is not smooth at all without vsync it stuttered a lot.

My impression is the software is still way behind the hardware... i ma far from an expert on any of this. its just my first impression.  I did take a flight in rural area with vsync set and unlimited frames and did get smooth operation at 60 fps +/-.  I will try this in NYC later tonight.