Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Windows 10 does not recognise my USB flash drive so I can't create a boot device

I have the upgraded x64 version of W10 after months of MS's insistence that I download it.  

I'm not sure the upgrade is optimal performance-wise.  My system is sluggish, slow to boot and i think will benefit from a clean install

I've downloaded the W10 media files to enable a boot and clean installation but W10 is not seeing my USB flash drive in order to create a boot device.  I don't want to burn to a DVD - I don't have a writer anyway, so I need to use a USB.

Any advice?  I can't believe this is so difficult.

It's actually terribly simple!!

Now that you're on WIndows 10, simply use the built-in method of resetting your PC. I've used this with great success and it actually is just like performing a full system reload off of installation disks.

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

The system reset will take some time, but its faster than installing from scratch media and gives you the same exact results.

As always, back up all your stuff prior to proceeding - even though the process will ask you if you want to clear off your boot drives -or- clear off all drives, its better to be safe than sorry.

You'll be running on a fresh install in no time!

-Greg