Sign in to follow this  
mwa05

Brand New Win 10 PC and FSX Gold

With a brand new, technician built PC with Win 10 as OS, completely updated by the builder and all current drivers ready to go - does FSX Gold from the disks install correctly?

It is hard to get a definitive answer looking through posts - most posts talk about an upgrade to Win 10 with an existing FSX installation.

Given Jetline, Chillblast and Wired4Fire all seem to sell Flight Sim PC's with Win 10 now, has the latest versions of Win 10 solved (if any) compatibility issues?

I'm replacing an almost 7 year old flight sim PC which still has the original FSX-A installation and still works well (FSX that is, the actual computer itself is starting to have problems given its age and has been "flogged to death") and whilst I can use the new rig as an opportunity to move to P3D, I literally have thousands of dollars invested in FSX and would still like to use it.

Cheers,

Mark

I just thought I would circle back on this (almost 3 weeks later).

The system I have had built is -

Intel i7 6700K CPU OC 4.6G

Noctua D15 Cooler

ASUS Z170-P ( D4) motherboard

16G DDR4 2133Mhz

256G M.2 Samsung 950 Pro 2200mb/s + 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm

ASUS Strix 8G GeForce GTX 1080 video card

Cooler Master CM693 Case + Cooler Master 750w Plus Gold

22 Speed DVD RW Dual Layer

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Built in Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 SATA 3.0 SATA Raid

ASUS PCE-AC68

It does run FSX Gold beautifully. But, and there is always a but...

In my experience, Windows 10 will run FSX Gold "out of the box". However, as soon as you add any complexity, it will NTDLL.DLL crash. UNLESS you run in DX10 mode.

Using the Steve Fixer - FSX heaven.

I run ORBX Australia and New Zealand, all GEX (except Australia and New Zealand), all UTX, Scenery Tech Landclass for areas UTX does not cover, Aerosoft A318,19, 20, 21, Majestic Q400, PMDG 737/777 and iFly 737 and a network of add on airports consistent with the network of the airline I work for in the RW and the system eats FSX.

It has only taken about 9 years.

I am very happy.