Sign in to follow this  
Guest DNelson

Random Holds.- Instrument Rating practice question...

Does anyone try random holds (direction from fix, fix, radial/track, direction. etc.) in FS9. How do you do the randomization? Is there any simple code for ATC instructions that could achieve this?Thanks- this is for simple holding practice for instrument rating simulated proficiency.Bruce.

Guest cactus

VATSIM. Come to CZEG FIR and I can give you some holds

Thanks- I'm out of time tonight, but might take you up on this next weekend :)Bruce.

Guest aca_dia

I used to keep a cup full of bits of paper each with a particular holding instruction on it. Then now and again I would randomly pull one out and apply it to a nearby navaid. If you make up enough samples to draw from it keeps it pretty interesting.

When I got my instrument rating eons ago (1991) my instructor told me I'd probably fly the rest of my life and never get a real hold from atc.So far-true! (I did get close a few weeks ago flying to Leesburg, VA in lousy weather-there was another Baron close in front of me-atc had me doing dramatic S turns on the localizer till he cancelled his ifr on breakout...)Just wonder if that is others experience....(Still practice holds all the time-but seems like getting hit by a meteor is more likely)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest aca_dia

I get a few a year around these parts. With coastal fog airports go above and below minimums and cause small backups. I even hear the local 121 operator holding on a fairly frequent basis as I am sure dispatch wants them to wait it out as long as possible rather than taking an alternate. I never get an odd entry that makes me think, but I do like to keep current just in case.

Thanks- sounds like an easy but effective way to practice.I'm getting close to my (second) IR currency ride. When I was studying for the IR, holds came easily, so I want to keep familiar with them. Even though I'm likely just to get a hold at the MAHP, all of which I've done before in my area when I was in training :)Bruce.

Guest cactus

I get them quite a bit in Alberta. Lots of places are controlled airspace but radar coverage does not go to the ground so guess what.......the hold. I even ge them coming into Calgary Int'l when it gets busy.

Hi Geof,I got one recently- had filed instrument from KCOS into my home airport of KBJC. When I was cleared to intercept the LOC, the approach controller said "...I'll have to figure out what to do with you" (instead of "cleared for the approach"); then I got the "hold as published at ALIKE" (FAF). I never did see or hear any other traffic, so never knew what was going on- a clear VMC day. Was on the outbound leg of the hold and was told to complete the hold and cleared for the approach. Kind of cool :)Bruce.

Guest DNelson

Heh...I almost got a hold on my first IFR-filed flight after getting my rating in 1997. I was about 15 miles out of my home base at KOGD when Salt Lake approach said something like, "I'll probably have to hold you at the OGD VOR for a while so I can get some F-16's into Hill AFB." I was already under the overcast and had 10+ miles visibility, so I just canceled IFR. Guess I'm just lazy. :)