Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanP

carrier operations

Guest mz-cd

I am looking for "carrier operations" I keep reading about it but can not find it.. Obviously looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help me.Thanksmz-cd

Guest jprintz

Besides the very wondeful RCBO package, if you're really into carrier ops you may also want to try the following:3Wire Aircraft Carrier Simulator http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=57770Dino Cattaneo's excellent F-14B Tomcat:http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/68/f...9a.zip?i1zGB02e(not on avsim????)John J. Schumacher's F-14 Tomcat panel/FDE update:http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/72/s...v2.zip?i1zGB02e(also not on avsim for some reason, AFAICT)if I may be so bold (heheh), my own F/A-18 Hornet Heads-Up-Display and panel:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=74803(makes carrier landings almost like child's play.... ;-)Some people also swear by the payware "Abacus Flightdeck" program, and it does have some good features, but you can get most everything you're probably seeking with the above freeware. Hope you HAVE FUN with all of the above. In the meantime, let's all hope for MOVING carriers (with full airport operations on them!) in the next version of Flightsim.... (Yeah, "keep dreaming," I know...heheh.)

Guest IanP

I'd recommend saving your money on Carrier Operations / Flight Deck III and getting 3Wire and the ArrCab carriers from the library here. Aircraft like Dino's Tomcat and the Super Hornet pack are massively better than their Abacus equivalents.Personally, I find that there's a bit of a frame rate hit with the FSDS ArrCab carriers and I prefer the Enterprise pack from Alphasim (http://www.alphasim.co.uk), but they're perfectly functional and 3Wire does everything that ArrCab does, only cheaper. :-)Cheers,Ian P.

Guest jprintz

Yep, I'd tend to agree with you. The only thing off the top of my head that the Abacus package offers that 3Wire doesn't is fuel transfer, but certainly that can be worked around in other ways. I do agree that the aircraft and panels in that Abacus package are completely... well... "freeware" quality. ;-) (Don't get me wrong, there's some GREAT freeware out there, but that's not the freeware I'm referring to here. Heheh.)But the refueling thing leads to my question (and perhaps I should start a new thread), but are there any freeware aerial refueler aircraft models available, WITH the drogue? What is the best way to simulate air refueling in FS2004? I've been settling for just creating flightplans with tankers on known courses and then pulling up behind/underneath them, but there is not as much precision required as there should be, and if you get too high, well, of course you end up hitting the AI aircraft, and your speed drops to 0 immediately.... (Not so good!) So... what's everyone doing to simulate mid-air refueling?

Guest IanP

Lago's F-16 and Tornado packages contain a module for air-to-air refuelling, using a KC-10 (Hose and Drogue and Boom models) and a VC-10 (Hose and Drogue only). They're independant of the aircraft and will work with anything that can keep up with them.Lago aren't top of my Christmas Card list at the moment for support, but the products both work acceptably in FS2004. The refuel module isn't perfect, but is pretty good. And no, I'm not just saying that because I'm the voice of the RAF tanker... ;-)Cheers,Ian P.(Edited to correct typo)

Guest jprintz

Thanks Ian! That sounds like it might be worth some investigation. For the moment though, I'd even be content with a simple freeware aircraft with just visual hose and drogue trailing behind. It's funny because I remember seeing such freeware for FS98, but I haven't seen anything for FS2004.... Thanks again.

Guest IanP

Didn't Dave Maltby do a refuel VC-10 that would work for AI? Can't remember his site's URL. I'll wander off and look shortly... Unless my fiancee gets home first and drags me out food shopping so we can eat tonight! ;-)Cheers,Ian P.Edit: http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/vickers_vc10.htm#C1KQuote from bottom of page: "- Complete set of VC10 models specifically for use as AI traffic" ... "The C1K model has its fuel pipes out whenever the gear is up so you can set it up for simulated tanker use."

Guest jprintz

Ian:THANK YOU!!! That is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. Now I'm VERY excited and can't wait to get back to my home PC to try it! Thanks.