Sign in to follow this  
MickB

TP slow to load

OK I have been an avid user of TP for a couple of years and I love it but recently it has been given me problems the most annoying one is that a) it is slow to load I mean starting FSX and loading scenery could take  upwards of 10 mins and it is very slow (lazy) to display once I am in the air flying. I then get very blurry pixels even with a C172 @80kts. If I pause the sim and go make a cup of coffee it eventiually gives me excellent scenery, although after few more miles I am back to the same problem.

Now before you guys start saying see this thread or that thread i have scoured the net and AVSIM to find a solution and really not found one yet.

So I assume it must be my problem and not the program.

I have posted this topic in the hope that some of you very tecnical assured people( that know more than I know) could tell me when TP is loading the tiles what is it actually doing? Is it because it cannot find the tiles on my hard drive or is it due to slow upload from a website? I do not have any problem with any other scenery upload. Horizon Orbx etc.

If anyone out there could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. I am almost at a point of ditching TP altoghter which I am reluctant/sad to do.

Many thanks for reading.

Michael.

Just a few thoughts – you've probably tried them already. Have you checked your target frame limit in FSX hasn't defaulted to 'unlimited' somehow?

Maybe set FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION higher e.g. 1.33? (I know they say it doesn't matter if you're using a multi-core processor, but personally, to me, it makes a difference - with TP anyway).

Have a look what's happening in the TP command prompt box see if there are any errors there?

Hi Ozric, target frame is on 25fps and locked no problem there. I have read somewhere that having unlimited might help with TP but i am not sure about that??

Interestingly the  Fiber frame you mention is not there in my .cfg file. But then I am running FSX:SE which may not be used with the Steam version.

Will look into that.

Thank you.

Michael.

FSX can still run smooth on lower target frame rate limits - the tiles load better. Christian Buchner (he made TP) recommends setting 12-18. 

The problem is not the frame rates although it might play some bearing after the sim is loaded and ready to fly. It is the slowness of the terrain data at the loading screen I would like to improve.

As i said it seems to be some sort of blockage when TP is running and then delivering the tiles to FSX. If I only knew where to see where that is happening on my rig I might bge able to fix it. I have used task manager but it seems limited in what it showing. If there was some sort of test to see the uploading and progress of the program...............

Michael.

Hello Mick,

My story is the same as yours. Years of fun with TP. But lately its my feeling the tiles download speed is slowing down.

I wonder, with normal downloads, the download server determines the download speed. Can it be that the tileserver is throtteling back the download speed of the tiles?

Just came to my mind... I didn't try it with my virusscanner off as is adviced.

Still one attempt to go...

Ryzen5-2400G/RTX2080/RAM16Gb

Just made a flight (C217-80-knt) with the virusscanner program off, and it made a difference. There is hope...

It's clear now that my virusscanner (Panda) has impact on my tile loading. I made a testflight along the North coast of Spain and I had no blurries. :smile: