Sign in to follow this  
Dave5150

Navlights at night from a distance = bad

Hi gang, 

I'm a real world pilot who also likes to dabble in X-Plane from time to time. It's really come a long way scenery-wise, but one thing has really bugged me. Lately I've been connecting on VATSIM and trying that out, which is a lot of fun! But I've noticed that in X-Plane, at night, the other aircraft's nav lights are visible over 10nm away... but not only that, each light gives off this crazy glow so that all you see is this red ball and green ball. This is especially true when overflying an active airport and the traffic on the ground is just a bunch of glowing red/green balls.

Obviously this is NOT how navlights look in RL. You can see them that far, sure. But they do not give off this crazy 20 foot diameter glow.

I'm wondering though, could this be something to do with my render settings? If so, which one would "dial back" the nav lights? I'm on a fairly low render setup as is since I run 3 monitors and am trying to keep the framerate up.

Thanks!

Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That sounds like vatim traffic , it looks like a matchstick on flame, don't think anything can be done .

Here's your fix for massive aircraft lights.

After this, the lights become more believable pinpricks of approximately a pixel or two large. It's a bad bug with XSquawkBox (amongst others like terrible aircraft matching), which is already old, dated software. It's a reason why I've begun seriously considering paying for a PilotEdge subscription.

Here's your fix for massive aircraft lights.

After this, the lights become more believable pinpricks of approximately a pixel or two large. It's a bad bug with XSquawkBox (amongst others like terrible aircraft matching), which is already old, dated software. It's a reason why I've begun seriously considering paying for a PilotEdge subscription.

Ahh, thank you!!! I never even thought to look for another plugin to fix a plugin LOL! I'll download that sucker tonight when I get home.

So has development on XSquawkBox shut down? I just googled PilotEdge as I'd never heard of that, but $20/month seems pretty steep! But I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks again!