Sign in to follow this  
kbowler

Using and defining Shift Keys

Hi

I have not kept up to date with the defining and using of 'shift' keys as in the latest version of Linda (v2.8.3), and the manual is now too old to be helpful.   My last experience was mainly with earlier Linda v1.13 when only LOCAL SHIFT and GLOBAL SHIFT was defined.      Would someone kindly give me a detailed explanation of what all the 'modes'  (LOCAL, GLOBAL, UNSHIFTED, SHIFTED ONE, SHIFTED TWO, SHIFT CYCLE)  are for in the shifted modes definitions section, what their differencs are, and how you use these to set up a suitable shift key (or keys).        Also, I notice that the Joysticks page now has a tick box "Apply shift globally to all devices" - what is this used for and how does it relate to defining a GLOBAL SHIFT key, which I thought did the same thing?

Thanks

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler

Hi Keith

You should find a detailed description in the release notes included in the LINDA 2.8.3 download. However, to answer you question:

LOCAL SHIFT - this affects only the device/joystick on which is assigned. It allows 2 levels of assignments to be used wth that device. These are set using the Unshifted and Shifted 1 pages. You can set up a LOCAL SHIFT for each device. It is a non-latching function requiring LOCAL SHIFT to be assigned to both the OnPress and OnRepeat assignments on the button used. Releasing the button cancels the LOCAL SHIFT.

GLOBAL SHIFT - this affects ALL devices/joysticks in use. The unshifted and shifted 1 pages are used as for LOCAL SHIFT. It is a latching function requiring the button assigned to GLOBAL SHIFT to be pressed twice - once to select and a second time to release. If latching is not required then the GLOBAL SHIFT needs to be assigned to the OnPress and OnRelease.

The following are designed to work with the mode switches on the CH Eclipse and Saitek Yoke joysticks. They are all latching meaning that once selected one of the other functions is required to deselect. For these functions to work correctly it is necessary to make the same assignments to the UNSHIFTED, SHIFTED ONE and SHIFTED TWO pages.

UNSHIFTED - this is the common level of assignments for a device. It can apply locally to a single device or globally to all devices as set one the bottom line of the assignments page.

SHIFTED ONE - this is the first level of assignments for a device and is the same as the LOCAL/GLOBAL shift level.

SHIFTED TWO - this is the second level of assignments for a device.

SHIFT CYCLE - this is the function that cycle between UNSHIFTED to SHIFTED ONE to SHIFTED TWO and back to UNSHIFTED. It allows a single button to exploit the double shifted functions.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Scot

Thanks for your quick reply.  I must own up to missing the release notes part of the zip download in my enthusiasm to get Linda running on my new FS rig.  However, your description was perfect and just what I wanted to know.  I have also now found the release notes and read those as well, so hopefully I am in a position to define my Shift keys and start using Linda again.       Incidentally, do the Shifted 1 and Shifted 2 modes only work with the mentioned devices, or can they be adapted to work with other joysticks by using a separate button for each shift?

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler

Hi Keith

If you have 3 spare buttons or a 3 position switch/rocker you can use the SHIFTED functions with any device as you wish. Alternatively you can use one button and SHIFTED CYCLE to toggle through the option. There is a beep for SHIFTED ONE and TWO and a double beep when you cycle back to UNSHIFTED.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Scot

Thanks again for the helpful info.  This recent version of Linda seems to work perfectly with P3D v3.3 on my new rig.

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith Bowler