Sign in to follow this  
derianc

The Journey to a Smooth Sim [Solved]

Hey everyone, I've been off the forums for years now and just recently decided to get back into the simulation world as I joined flight school and just this week finished my private with 50 hours! I'm super excited about that and on the long road to CFII and MEI!

Anyways, I have had the same PC for years now, dating back to 2010. 

I was always limited by performance and it seemed to be that I had a integrated graphics card on board my Dell Inspiron 580. It has 6 GB of ram 1333MHz and a I3-530 at 2.93GHz. Now, just recently I upgraded my GPU to the best thing I could get (to my knowledge) without upgrading the PSU; the AMD Radeon 7750. Best 50 bucks i've ever spent. 

Anyway, getting to the saucy details...

So I fiddled with the settings, endlessly... Read every guide I could find, did my own testing for about a month now with endless frustration...

So I finally decided to reformat my PC, re-install only the essentials for Flight Simulator X, with my few addons, etc and kept my settings nearly factory on the AMD control panel. I tried overclocking the GPU, which ultimately made things more unstable, even if I could sustain the system without a crash. 

With everyone's opinions about tweaking the FSX config and all, I tried all that, and MY personal experience was that they were utterly useless; for the most part.

FSX Configuration file:

• HIGHMEMFIX=1
  • WideViewAspect=True
  • FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.44
  • TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
  • LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 (Might bump it up to 6.500000)

I'll go ahead and post my settings so everyone can see. As of now, 60 FPS locked seems to work very very smooth, almost always locked at around 59-60. 

Keep in mind I do not have a SSD, I simply have FSX installed in the default x86 Program Files location... Even then, texture loading seems to be no problem with the Fiber Fraction tweak.

Below are some screenshots for your use. 

Disclaimer: Results will vary

amd.png?dl=0

As we can see, I could bump up some settings here and there but this was just an example as to what we're getting as of now. Addons here are GEX UTX FSG2010 REX clouds and FSGRW. Obviously this is a default aircraft but the PMDG 737NGX was pulling roughly the same in the VC, just a tad lower, and the same 59-60 external view. 

CFG2.png?dl=0

CFG3.png?dl=0

CFG4.png?dl=0

CFG5.png?dl=0

CFG%201.png?dl=0

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!