Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Ariane 737ng

Guest Mike20

Gday all anyone out there got the Ariane 737ng and if so whats it like is it better than the PMDG or as good any comments appreciated as I just dont know which to get regards Michael

Guest Toni Rauch

MikeI suggest you do a forum search on 'Ariane', as volumes have been written on this subject and you'll find all the answers you need, and more!Toni.

I have their BBJ and I'm quite pleased with it.Short comparison with the PMDG -800:Higher detail visual model and panel functionality, SEEMINGLY more true to life FDE (though I'm no pilot let alone a 737NG pilot so I can't be certain but it feels better).Much harder on the hardware, thus lower framerates and sometimes a tad choppy in dense scenery (you're supposed to be able to tune that, but I've not yet found out how, more manual reading required).Navdata is out of the factory a lot more complete, but not updated as frequently and there's no option to do so easily yourself.FMC functions:Overall the Ariane CDUs are more complete but they're missing some pages as well.For example, PMDG models the forecast page which Ariane doesn't, but Ariane more accurately models the performance pages.The fuel prediction in the PROGRESS page for my BBJ doesn't work (could be operator error) and sometimes the T/D is calculated incorrect.Combine the two and I think everything is working.Autopilot functions:Ariane's autopilot doesn't alway correctly fly a VNAV/PATH descent, but then neither does the PMDG one (in my experience that one quite often calculates a path which is too steep for it to easily fly it).LNAV works fine in both cases.Ariane has a somewhat less userfriendly means of turning the knobs on the autopilot control panel (no rightclick option to make them turn in larger increments) and the displays are updated more slowly (which may be due to the lower performance on my machine).Overall, both are excellent products with their own strengths and weaknesses. A combination of the two, combining the strenghts of both, would make just about a perfect 737 addon.Customer support:Ariane email support in my experience is good. I had trouble getting the aircraft activated using the automated systems, they had me up and running in a few days.This despite me having purchased the product through irregular channels (I got it on CD directly from them on a tradeshow rather than via their web interface).Questions are answered quickly and professionally (though timezones can of course incur a delay of several hours to a day).They've announced support forums but those aren't active yet.PMDG are quite professional in their support forums, I've had no direct contact with them.I was disappointed with their responses to reports of problems (like the incorrect functioning of the autospoilers on the -800 or the lack of an initial complete load in the FMC), but overall they seem professional.Again, two companies that overall seem geared towards producing quality products and are starting to wake up to an era where customer support is considered as important as if not more important than the actual product itself.Ariane have a bumpy history because of a previous owner, and are trying to overcome the bad name that has given them.In personal (both face to face and through email) conversation with them I've come to respect them and their efforts.They're a bit paranoid about intellectual property theft, which I can fully understand working in the software industry myself.PMDG are a long established company with an excellent reputation outside the MSFS community who produced a great product as their first forray into that community and have by now established themselves as a name for quality.2 companies, 2 business models that are sometimes quite different, both working in a highly competitive and often hostile (to developers) environment to bring us quality software to enjoy our hobby.If I had neither product (I have as I say both) I'd have at this stage a hard time choosing between them based on featuresets and functionality.For lower spec machines, the PMDG offers the best hope of getting reasonable performance.For highend machines the Ariane model looks better and is likely a bit more complete.For people who just want to hop in and fly, PMDG gets you off the ground faster, for people who want to have to go through all the checklists and startup procedures Ariane models a few more steps in those.Hope this is enough information to help you make a decision for your purchase of one of these fine products.Blue side up.

OK, turned out to be a not-so-short comparison :)

Guest Toni Rauch

..... If you're gonna rake all these comparisons up again, the one important area you didn't mention is PRICE / VALUE FOR MONEY.A bit subjective I know, but in that department Ariane is extortionate! PMDG leaves Ariane standing.Toni.

Guest ThrottleUp

Yes I gotta say PMDG is well priced. I got my PMDG 737-800/900 for only

Guest Mike20

Hi all and thank you for such an in depth comparison ,it has helped me and allthough I do like the look of the Ariane model I think I will go for the PMDG mainly for the price but I must admit the Ariane model does look good on there site and finance permitting at a later date I may get the Ariane one, so thanks again guys for your help it has helped me to make up my mind kind regards to all Michael

Guest ThrottleUp

Hey if you run the PMDG on fullscreen it is very smooth (even in the virtual cockpit)...at least it is for me. Give it a try when you get it.Enjoy your new jet :)And heres a good website that will help you find actual routes flown by the NG737s. Its a live feed from the airports!http://flightaware.com/live/:)

Guest Mike20

Hi thanks for that I will check it out I hope to get the jet early next week so I will come back and let you all know I always run in full screen so I should be okay thanks and regards Mike

Guest Edam

One would think that by now it should be obvious to you that your continual obsessive, one-sided opinions don't mean squat.

Very constructive, Edam. In comparision to jwenting you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread.:-bluegrab *snip*

An important purchasing point for me is the history and integrity of a company. I don't trust Ariane. And nothing currently convinces me that Ariane places customer service very high. I feel the pricing versus value is a continuation of past practices. Make sure you review the registration process and posts by their customers here concerning terse replies to requests for help. Bob...

And you forget one very crusial point. And that is that when you purchase an Ariane 737NG, you get not only one addon but several.So if you add the values for those two or three addons all together, you will soon find that you really get value for money. ;-)Happy landings,http://www.scandicair.com/images/as_banner.jpg

Staffan

Guest Len

Hi all and thank you for such an in depth comparison ,it has helped me and allthough I do like the look of the Ariane model I think I will go for the PMDG mainly for the price but I must admit the Ariane model does look good on there site and finance permitting at a later date I may get the Ariane one, so thanks again guys for your help it has helped me to make up my mind kind regards to all MichaelPMDG is the way to go not only in terms of support but the model itself with the numerous repaints available, the interior (both vc and 2d panel), the fmc...well you get the ides.I have the 737-900 for Ariane (big money) and purchased a set of repaints (big money). No 2d panel. Now one thing the Ariane model has over the PMDG model is VERY nice VC lighting. Sometimes I like just loading her up at night and play with the night lighting. Also has push back trucks specific to whether you are in North America or Europe. As well, when in winter when you have cold, the windows will frost up before you turn on the window heat. A nice plane indeed but all around this one has to go to PMDG as the post above notes.