Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

ILS BackCourse & FS Navigator

Hi Everyone,When flying ILS approaches, is there any way, other than having access to approach charts, to determine ahead of time, whether a runway requires 'backcourse' for the ILS approach? I use FSNavigator, and it does indicate that both ends of a particular runway have the same ILS frequency. But how can I determine during flight planning which of the runway ends require the backcourse?Have a Great Thanksgiving Everyone!!orbmis

Guest lamont

As I recall FSNav tells you if the course is ILS or BC when you select the runway.

This may not be technically correct from a total standpoint, but for practical purposes may serve your purposes.In FSNAV if the approach end of the localizer arrow is totally closed (a triangle), the approach includes glideslope. If it is not totally closed but only has a "V" indication (for want of a better way of expressing it) and is not totally closed with a triangle, it does not include glideslope. Approaching from the other end where you see the departure tip of the arrow for practical purposes might be considered as backcourse. I did not realize that it was spelled out anywhere as Lamont kindly posted, but will look for that.Happy Flying:RTH