Sign in to follow this  
zl2bmh

Help pse after 4 years away

Hello All.

I joined VOZ way back in the very early 2000.  I then went with everyone to Orbx FTX.  I have through the FLTSIM Store bought everything that came out, including libraries up until 2012 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances I had to delete everything from my computer and of course stupid me never backed and zipped it up.

In the past couple of years I have made two or three false starts to get into it again, but due to memory I've totally forgotten what should be installed in order.

Can some extremely kind person help me back to when I stopped, from memory I think the last scenery I bought was the UK or maybe Alaska.

I know this could be a rather big job but if you are keen I'm ready to listen and follow.

There has been so many changes since my day, now there's PD3 etc, things I've never heard of.

Thank you for reading this.

zl2bmh

Hi again.

Since writing the above I have been reading about the P3D program.  Would I be better to buy this program.

zl2bmh.

Concerning Orbx FTX: you came back at the right moment because last week FTX Central 3 has been released. 

Go to https://orbxdirect.com

Download FTX Central.

Since you (luckily) bought everything from FSS: transfer your license from FSS to OrbxDirect (you will be guided all along the way). If in doubt, check the Orbx forum.

After transfering your license you will see all the addons you purchased in FTX Central 3 and you will be able to directly download and install it all from there 'out of the cloud'. It's all pretty similar to Steam (if you know that). Updates will be taken care of and you also don't have to worry about the libs. (Re)installing Orbx addon has never been as easy as it is now!

Obviously you first have to install the sim you want... Orbx is compatible with the various available FSX and P3D versions. Personally I would also go for P3D!

Thank you Jereon, I'm very grateful for your reply.

Would you mind answering a question for me.

Is there much difference between FSX and P3D?

Regards,

ZL2BMH

Thank you Jereon, I'm very grateful for your reply.

Would you mind answering a question for me.

Is there much difference between FSX and P3D?

Regards,

ZL2BMH

FSX lovers will say NO, P3D lovers will say YES. I use P3D so I say YES! :wink: Main differences for me are: shadows ALL over the place (in the cockpit, on the ground, even cloud shadows!), better use of the GPU, better lighting, better performance (although there always are people who say P3D performs worse), no tweaks needed (imho) and, quite important, it is still being supported (patches and all). Only drawback of the latter may be that one day there will be a version 4 and you will have to pay the full price again. (Small point of advice: DO NOT talk about or discuss P3d licenses on this forum: it is forbidden. PM someone if you have further questions.)

What may be disappointing: the default scenery (and database) is the same as FSX so your Orbx purchases will come in handy. Depending on what addons you have, you may have to update or even repurchase a few.