Sign in to follow this  
wcschulz3

Anyone Experienced Using the Data Output Features of X-Plane?

Hello,

I have a colleague that works with ALPA (Pilot's association) and the NTSB, and who is working with a university that helps train aircraft accident investigators.

What they'd like to do is re-create/sim-fly an accident that happened in 1975 and record all the relevant flight position, altitude, changes in altitude, etc parameters from the flight, then print them in a way that would mimic the output that would come from the data recorders.

Has anyone used the data recording feature that might provide a quick tutorial on how to use it?   I think this should be simple in X-Plane, but it's something I've never tired.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

KSGP

If I understand correctly, what they'd like to do is just feeding X-Plane the position/attitude/state of the aircraft, and hence use X-Plane purely as a visual device. Is that correct?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If I understand correctly, what they'd like to do is just feeding X-Plane the position/attitude/state of the aircraft, and hence use X-Plane purely as a visual device. Is that correct?

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  The end product will be a transcript of lat/long/alt and other flight data parameters that the team would then load into their software so they could "visualize" the flight using their software.

So, we'd use a hand-flown flight to get close to replicating the accident, then export that data out so it could be printed, and/or fed into their data visualizer.

Make sense?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  The end product will be a transcript of lat/long/alt and other flight data parameters that the team would then load into their software so they could "visualize" the flight using their software.

So, we'd use a hand-flown flight to get close to replicating the accident, then export that data out so it could be printed, and/or fed into their data visualizer.

Make sense?

Thanks!

Well it should be pretty simple then. You just have to go to the "Data Input & Output" screen, and then check the second square from the left for all the data/parameters you're interested in (e.g. altitude, airspeed, attitude, etc.). After you exit X-Plane, there should be a file called "data.txt" in the main X-Plane folder where all the relevant data has been stored.

The rate at which the data is stored can be selected in the same "Data Input & Output" screen, on the lower right there's an entry called "disk rate", if you set it to e.g. 20, then the data will be written to the file 20 times per second.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]