Sign in to follow this  
av8t0r

PMDG 737NGX PFD Questions

I have been off line for about 9 months but now back into flying...primary a/c was always PMDG 737.  For whatever reason there is no blue/brown artificial horizon on the primary pfd.  The outboard ribbons are there but no blue/brown horizon and graduations.  It is black.  but there is an ATT displayed on the middle.  Any advice on how to get it back to normal?  I have searched the web extensively but cannot find how to fix this...believe you used to be able to change display modes on the primary.  Thanks in advance.

I have been off line for about 9 months but now back into flying...primary a/c was always PMDG 737.  For whatever reason there is no blue/brown artificial horizon on the primary pfd.  The outboard ribbons are there but no blue/brown horizon and graduations.  It is black.  but there is an ATT displayed on the middle.  Any advice on how to get it back to normal?  I have searched the web extensively but cannot find how to fix this...believe you used to be able to change display modes on the primary.  Thanks in advance.

You have to align the IRSs, 2 switches at top left of overhead panel. Then input airplane position GPS geographic coordinates into the FMC.

Mauricio Brentano

I will exercise the switches but can't remember having to do that previously...the two switches are in Normal position at all times.  Timing for IRS alignment is set to 30 seconds in the FMS.  Was trying to fly a 737 training flight that doesn't use the FMS to get back in the groove but couldn't get the A/H to display.  We'll see how it goes...I also use the CPFlight hardware normally.

No change after exercising the switches and entering POS INIT in FMS...no clue what is going on.  I tried various models of the PMDG 600,700,800 etc.  All have the same symptom...the background of the PFD is black just ATT and HDG displayed. I did change the FD indicator to single point rather than split axis and it displays on the PFD so it has something to do with the horizon graphic.  Wondering if I have to uninstall the PMDG aircraft and reinstall. 

The alignment procedure can take as long as 15-20 minutes if the airplane is confused at to its position enough. Just today it took 12 minutes for me. Once you have input the aircraft position in the FMC you can see roughly how long until alignment is complete. To do this go to the IRS panel and move the "DISP SEL" outer knob to "HDG/STS." The number shown on the left side of the display above the knob will provide an "estimate" of how long until alignment is complete.

It is critical during alignment that the aircraft isn't moved or disturbed at all. The alignment process can even be interrupted by an overzealous jetway operator or a ramper contacting the airplane too aggressively.

Only when this alignment process is complete should you see the "blue / brown" display we all know and love. Also note that one side can take longer than the other - - for example the F/Os side may align and display the blue/brown sooner than the Captain's side. The alignment process is not complete until both displays show correct visuals.

Hope this helped shed some light on the alignment process. You mentioned that you hadn't dealt with this in the past - perhaps you weren't loading the flight in a cold & dark state so the IRS was already aligned?

Thanks,

It was the IRS aligns...not on the checklists I have been using and didn't see it any tutorial flights I have been loading up...memory is the first thing to go :-)...good to go now!  Thanks