Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Tilt the eye point

Thanks Oliver but I already found out what was causing the issue and it turned out to be my own fault and so stupid I don't know if I should cry or laugh...

As I already mentioned I'm currently doing my flying in VR using a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and the FlyInside software. Normally I use what is known as the interaction menu in FlyInside to quit P3D and I then put the glasses back on my desk.

Now however when I've been messing around with finding the correct eyepoint I've been doing it a bit differently by taking the glasses off and putting them back on my desk and then quitting P3D by simply using the normal cross (X) icon in the upper right corner of the P3D program window.

Since I always load the last saved situation when starting P3D this meant when I put the glasses back on my desk and to the front and left of me to be precise this also turned out to be my last saved position...ie a bit on the left on the nose of the aircraft :lol:

So by assuring I was still in the cockpit wearing the Rift glasses before quitting P3D the problem went away and I found myself inside the cockpit starting P3D rather than sitting on the nose of the a/c.

What I still find a bit strange though is I thought the values in aircraft.cfg and/or cameras.cfg would indicate your initial position also when loading a saved flight/situation rather than your last position before quitting P3D would be used.

Maybe there's a setting for that somewhere I missed...?

You will find more information in the saved flight file. The camera definition positions are in there, and a tag for the GUID of the  "current camera". I suppose that this will be what you are shown when you load a flight.

LORBY-SI

Will have to play around more with this when I get home today to figure out how all the dots are connected, what info is used and when.

I guess if you're starting up from a saved situation the info found in that saved situation file will be used and if you're setting up a new flight what is in cameras.cfg and aircraft.cfg will be used.

What I don't get though is yesterday before I figued out what was causing the issue I tried setting up a new flight rather than using a saved flight. However I was still using the same aircraft and location but I don't see how that would make any difference as long as I'm not loading a saved flight.

Well...as said...will play around a bit more with this later on today.

Richard Åsberg

Your default flight is a saved flight file too. Maybe something was askew in there.

LORBY-SI

Yes, maybe you're right.

What I find interesting with all this is if it indeed works the way I suggested where any information in a saved situation will always override any other values found in cameras.cfg and/or aircraft.cft that would then mean all I really need to do is to find the position I like and then exit out of P3D.

If my current position/eyepoint is then saved and I load the same situation next time I start P3D I should then find myself in the same position meaning no need to adjust anything.

Richard Åsberg

OK, I can now confirm what I said above ie that as long as you use a saved situation there's really no need for an extra software or manually adjusting any values in aircraft.cfg.

All you need to do is to find your preferred eyepoint using the standard controls listed in a previous post. When you're happy save the flight and next time you load this flight you'll find yourself in the same positiion.

Very convenient and this explains why it felt like I was constantly returned to a position that was slightly different from the last time I was in the simulator. In fact this is the most realistic thing to happen. Just like when you enter your car for example - the seating position will be the same but your exact position will certainly be a little bit different from one day to the next.

Nice to finally have connected all the dots in relation to this!

Richard Åsberg

Unfortunately saved flights can cause other difficulties in the sim (avionics, flightplan, ATC errors, inlcuding completely disrupting the load process, which is currently happening to me...). IMHO they are not the most reliable means of saving important data.

As per the specification, the aircraft camera definitions should be used for what you want to do. That system is very extensive, and if a camera position has been set up once, it will always be like you defined it, no matter what happens in between. Generally speaking, you should not alter the global cameras nor should you adjust the default eyepoint. All you have to do is to define your own default camera position (tied to the aircraft) and then call it up every time that you enter the cockpit.

LORBY-SI

I know using saved flights has never been recommended but maybe it depends on what add-ons you're using.

I do all my flying in the NGX online on Vatsim using all global Orbx products, lots of payware airports, AS16 for weather, GSX for ground handling etc etc and these days all this in VR using Oculus Rift glasses and the FlyInside software and I never experienced an issue related to using a saved situation/flight and I've been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Reason I prefer to do it this way is it's convenient to be in the same aircraft, in the same state and in the same location where you left your aircraft on last flight. Feels very realistic to me and I never fly from anywhere else but from my last destination.

As for creating separate camera views again that is not needed in my case since I'm flying in VR.

Thanks though for all input and help while trying to figure out how all this works!

Richard Åsberg