Sign in to follow this  
J van E

Experiences with high end laptop and flightsimming?

I almost bought a PC a short while ago but suddenly my money was needed elsewhere. Luckily I've been able to take care of a few things and the funds are back again. However, in the meantime I was wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to buy one of those high end laptops. They seem to be 4K and VR ready, can even handle Gsync and obviously they are portable. I probably will use it as a desktop with a monitor attached to it plus a keyboard and mouse but well, being able to take it along with me elsewhere sounds rather nice... Now obviously these laptops don't have an i7 7700 and a Z260 mobo etc. but I know you can get MSI ones with a 1080 GPU (even SLI but I am not interested in that). They also have M.2 SSD's (though probably no 960 EVO but well...).

Anyway, long story short: are there people here who actually bought a high end laptop instead of a desktop? Do you like it? Is it indeed just as fast as a desktop? Again, I am talking about the really high end laptops with a 1080 GPU and M.2 SSd's etc.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm sorry I don't have fps numbers for you, but as a comparison I can tell you my 7 year old laptop would only play FSX on the lowest settings, not worth doing. Now my newer laptop with a skylake dual core @ 2.4 with on board intel graphics 16G ram and an SSD will run FSX reasonably well. Mostly medium and some high settings. Does it compare to my desktop (devils canyon @ 4.8 and GTX970) well no, but for something to get by with and be able to take with you where ever you go, it will work. I was actually just flying around ORBX Telluride and was very impressed with how smooth it was. I must have flown around for 2 hours not even plugged in. So I would say if you got a higher end model you would be just fine. ohh by the way I tried 4k with mine and the onboard intel graphics could not handle it way too much of a hit, but 1080P your good. Hope this helps.