Sign in to follow this  
jc2231

4K Monitor Questions

In researching ways to stop/reduce shimmering in P3Dv3.3 I found three possible solutions: 1) NVidia Inspector's SGSS AA, 2) DSR, and 3) a higher resolution monitor. SGSS AA caused performance issues especially when flying through clouds and DSR (2715x1697x32 and Tex Res. is set to 4096) has helped but some shimmering still exists. My current monitor is now 8-9 years old and I've been thinking about upgrading from 1080 to 4K. 

For all the hardware experts out there will a 4K monitor: 1) improve the visual quality of P3D (mostly the shimmering), 2) do I need to upgrade my video card (I currently have a GTX 970), and finally 3) is there any potential for a performance drop with a higher resolution monitor?

Thanks in advance,
James

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For all the hardware experts out there will a 4K monitor: 1) improve the visual quality of P3D (mostly the shimmering), 2) do I need to upgrade my video card (I currently have a GTX 970), and finally 3) is there any potential for a performance drop with a higher resolution monitor?

Thanks in advance,

James 

I just upgraded to a 28" 4K 30Hz monitor (AOC A2879VF) and it's been a great upgrade for P3D.

1)  I am no longer running ANY AA within the sim or in NI and I find the visual quality to be very good.  Running 4x in the sim has a slight performance impact with clouds but it does completely eliminate the shimmering.  

2) I have a 3770K @ 4.6GHz running a GTX 970 and I'm able to sustain very good frame rates at 4K.  No problem running 30Hz and it's smooth.

3) Running 4K allows me to reduce or eliminate AA which has improved the performance of the sim on my system. 

The only negative is that I'm having difficulty adjusting to the scaling at 4K in Windows 7.

Rich