Sign in to follow this  
NickFlightX

Small little issue

So, i was in push back and was starting the engines and accidentally hit my throttle up while the engines were still starting. The engines made the sound that they were spooling up like normal and got to takeoff sound with the buzz, but the instruments showed they didnt get to that thrust level at all. This is just a small little issue I found. Really not a big problem.

Nick Hesler

Did you get an ENGINE CONT X Status message?

From a 1998 bulletin:

"XX-XXX was departing WXYZ and when #4 engine was selected for start, the Status message ENG CONT #4 was displayed. This, of course, is a no dispatch message. When the ground engineers came to the flight deck to investigate, they found the #4 thrust lever very slightly forward of its rear stop.

It was then explained to the crew that if the thrust lever is just 2 degrees off the idle stop, then the "ENG CONT" status message will be displayed. It should be emphasised that this 2 degrees can easily be missed. Therefore, crews should take the added precaution to ensure each of the thrust levers is against the idle stops prior to engine starting.

Engineering Services have informed Flight Technical that there is a later modification which changes this 2 degrees to 9 degrees which will be far more noticeable. The modification programme has recently commenced, and only a few aircraft have been modified."

Cheers

John H Watson

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Steps to reproduce?

Normal start procedure, when the engines are just starting, try throttling up before the engines get too high on N1. I tried it around 5.0 N1 and still got the engine spool up sound. I tried this with one engine and, and all others off/idle and still got the sound while starting. 

Nick Hesler