Sign in to follow this  
giocc

VRI MCP Combo II protocol

Hallo,

I'm not really sure that I'm not going to touch a sensitive spot, but I'd really like to ask a question.

Since LINDA supports the VRInsight MCP Combo II, it means that the developers have fairly complete information about the serial protocol used by this device; I haven't seen this protocol documented anywhere.

The question is: would it be possible to publish some information about such protocol, or would it violate some kind of non-disclosure agreement that the developers might have subscribed (or simply create copyright issues that had better be avoided)?

Thanks

GiorgioCC

Hi Giorgio

Welcome to the LINDA community forum. You have hit the nail on the head. The interface protocol belongs to VRInsight you would need to be approached to get any documentation. All communication is via a serial feed for commands and button/knob operation.

Basically, the VRi Combo panels send a string corresponding to the button pressed or the knob rotated. This string is 5 characters long - a 4 chars neumonic for the button/knob and a char indicating a press (.), pull (*), plus (+) or minus (-). For example LAMP. is sent with the lamp button is pressed.

You can display the codes by putting the panel into test mode. Select Autopilot Disengage and switch the panel on. Operating buttons/knobs will show the code on the panel display.

There are a number of commands that can be sent to the panel but I don't have these readily to hand.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Wow, thanks for the extremely quick reply... and also for the information.

Unfortunately I don't own this panel (yet), but since from time to time some interesting deal comes up, and having in mind to purchase one, I was curious about whether it would be easy to interface it without being bound to a particular driver or program.

Thanks again!

GiorgioCC

There are 2 sets of software that work with the VRI Combo panels. These are VRi's own and LINDA. In fact started life as the way to better exploit the Combo panels. It was only latter that joystick handling was added. I was responsible for adapting LINDA to work with the Airbus version (MCP2a). The only thing LINDA requires is for the VRi USB/serial interface drivers to be installed. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew