Sign in to follow this  
roadrabbit149

Default FSX Aicraft - NDB Tuning

Operating default FSX a/c (e.g. C172S and Baron Be58) if an NDB frequency ends in ***.5 then I have to tune ***.0 to get "correct" tuning/indication.

However, in FSX-SE, this does not happen and entering the true frequency, e.g. 349.5, works correctly.

Is there a quick-fix to correct this FSX idiosyncrasy?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Intel i9900K @ 3.60 GHz, nVidia RTX 2080i (11 GB RAM onboard),
32 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, ASUSTek Z390-Plus Mobo
(LGA1151); Running P3Dv5.4, MSFS2020 and XPlane11;

If tuning the ADF is what's needed to pick up an NDB then you use the inner knob for the whole numbers and the outer ring for tuning the decimal numbers.  I use FSX Standard Edition.

ADF TUNING.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Maybe I didn't make it clear: I do know how to tune an NDB frequency. The problem is that on default FSX aircraft to get a frequency such as 349.5 to work and indicate correctly, I have to actually tune 349.0 (i.e. 0.5 below the correct figure)

However, on default FSX-SE aircraft, to tune an NDB whose frequency is, say, 368.5 - then I must, as in the real world, tune the correct frequency of 368.5 to get it to work correctly.

My question is this: is there a way to make the FSX aircraft behave correctly?

OK, now that I understand your problem and can find nothing about it with a Google Search,  where might I find

an NDB that uses such a freq. with a decimal in it and an airport near by so I can try tuning the ADF and see if it

works, or not!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

In the United Kingdom at Liverpool airport EGGP. The beacon LPL is 349.5 and is like an old Outer Marker. There is also Whitegate NDB about 12 nms to the south east of Liverpool with a frequency of 368.5.

25 minutes ago, roadrabbit149 said:

In the United Kingdom at Liverpool airport EGGP. The beacon LPL is 349.5 and is like an old Outer Marker. There is also Whitegate NDB about 12 nms to the south east of Liverpool with a frequency of 368.5.

Did a quick test at EGGP sitting on the active runway in my default Baron 58.   Tuned the ADF to both 349.5 and 368.5 and got ADF needle deflection and NDB identifer through the ADF audio.  Now the question is....why yours doesn't work!  Possibly because of an addon aircraft or scenery in your FSX version?

Charlie Aron

Could be - but I have been given another possible solution: an update of the radio nav aids package. I have been pointed to the following website which appears to have the required information:

https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

I shall give this a try and will report back on the results. The site is very interesting and opens up yet another window of knowledge in this fascinating hobby    :cool:

I have solved the problem - it is caused by Traffic 360 by Just Flight.

I finally recalled a problem I had previously with ILS tuning at EGGP which would only tune one way, 27 as I recall, and not the reciprocal 09 (the ILS has the same frequency, 111.75 for both runways). The answer then was to "delete" the EGGP scenery file ending in .BGL within the Traffic 360 scenery files - sadly this didn't work for the NDB problem. However, by not running My Traffic at all, the full and correct NDB tuning was restored.

Hopefully this might get corrected in a future update. I am currently in conversation with the very helpful guys at Just Flight, who say there should be no conflict.