Sign in to follow this  
Guest JetFueler

Runway xxx Heading xxx recognition problems

Guest JetFueler

I've made countless flights with the Q400 and FS2Crew now and I believe I've really gotten the hang of it... except for one thing.  I routinely have problem with the Before Takeoff Checklist (below the line) call for the Runway.  I have an awful time getting it to understand my response of 'runway xxx heading xxx'.  According to the display, it always seems to think I'm saying 'hundred' instead of heading not matter how slow or staccato my annunciation is.  Like today leaving Oslo it kept reading Runway One Nine Right Hundred One Nine Three.  I have no problems when I command heading changes or announce new FCP heading inputs.  

It's only during this particular call and after several attempts I resort to just bypassing it on the FS2Crew panel.  When I did the install I went through several pages of the speech training and I can actually speak quite quickly and it picks up everything I say the first time about 95% of the time.  I've even tried simplifying the call to 'Runway One Heading One' with no luck.  Occasionally pronouncing heading as 'heeding' does the trick but it's hit or miss at best. 

Any suggestions?  

Guest JetFueler

It worked on my flight last night again after about three tries.  I think it is in fact how I am pausing as opposed to how I say 'heading'.  Not sure why I have such a hard time with this one.  I know it's me and not the program because I get along with it perfectly with this one exception.  I'll keep working at it, thanks for the advice, Bryan!