Sign in to follow this  
killMiGs

FSX multiplayer jitters

Hello all - have not found any answer to this issue on any forum anywhere and any articles I have found are old. Seems odd. At any rate here's what's happening. My 2 PC's are on same network at home via Ethernet cables. I can host and join from either no problem. However when I fly formation the other aircraft jerks back and forth rapidly. The strange part is that I only it on the HIGH END i7 6700K PC. My other mid end PC doesn't have that issue! I am connected in FSX via the host/join session option - not connect directly with IP address option. Additionally - again only on the i7 machine - even when I am NOT using multiplayer but just in Freeflight, when I form up on an AI generated aircraft I see it stutter as well although not as much as on multiplayer. Everything else runs silky smooth... 

i am am at a loss to understand why - any help is much appreciated!

thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Mike,

if you are running unlimited FPS on that computer, try limiting them. Don't use 30 or 60, but something a little off, like 32.

If your FPS are already limited - are you using any addons that handle or look at AI traffic? An AI traffic controller, a limiter of some kind? An AI traffic program? A traffic board?

Best regards

Hi Lorby thx for the quick reply. I am running unlimited frames on the i7 machine. I will try the 32 option. I also have Orbx GA AI program. I will disable and try... let you know soon. Thanks

The ORBX package should not have any impact, AFAIK it is BGL based.

But unlimited FPS can cause (what I call) interference patterns, so I would try that first.

Multiplayer will probably never be completely free of jitters - but there are other solutions for multiplayer ops than the built-in logic.

Best regards

Hi Mike,

sure, you're welcome.

In my experience these things are caused by different update rates. Your own position in the simulated world is calculated independently from the AIs position. Both calculations are done relative to the world, not to each other. In unlimited FPS the calculations between the frames take different amounts of time, not every frame is rendered after exactly the same number of milliseconds. So you get an "interference pattern", sometimes the AI is in sync with your movement, sometimes it is faster, sometimes slower. So the AI position update is slightly offest to your own. Same thing happens to the multiplayer aircraft (it is an AI object too). When you limit the FPS, you force the sim to render frames at a fixed rate, and provided that it can keep up with that rate, everything is in sync (not always, but most of the time).

Best regards