Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Captain Sim C-130J: Help! where is the glass cockpit?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello all :)I got the Capt. Sim C-130. Im very happy with it but I do need some help. I got the base pack C-130 but craving the latest Hercules model I also got the C-130J expansion pack.But when I select the J model to fly in I still get a "steam-guages" flight deck (belonging to the earlier models of C130). I was expecting this:http://www.airforce-technology.com/project...s/hercules7.jpgAm I missing something obvious? I looked through the panel folders as well and did'nt spot any background bitmaps for the glass-cockpit J-model. Would be very grateful to hear from those of you who have also got the C130J expansion. Thank you!

I don't think they've made a complete glass cockpit, only modern EICAS

Guest IanP

I'm told - although I've not seen it anywhere - that they are planning a separate full glass cockpit later. As I say, I've not seen that written anywhere. They did specifically say that the -J was an external model only, though. ;-)Cheers,Ian P.

Or maybe just fly her as is? The panel isn't the most editable I've seen ;)Eagle

Guest ThrottleUp

Oh Im very happy with the plane and Im not complaining that there was no glass cockpit included. I just *thought* there was and was worried that Id messed up the installation. Wont take too long to bang one together on FS Panel Studio though! It will be rudimentary but it shall be glasssssssssssss :)

Actually, the "J" Model does comes from the factory with a full glass cockpit. And, there is a program called "AMP" that was to retrofit the older "E" models with the same glass cockpit (and other things related to the fuselage, saftey, etc.). However, AMP seems to be dying on the vine due to expense. One of the central components of the "J" model cockpit is the APN-241 radar, which was specifically designed to be integral to the glass cockpit and which figured largely in the AMP retrofits, replacing the older APN-59 radars on the "E" models that were to have been candidates for AMP.

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks for that interesting reply Tom! It reminds me of the MD10 program where they gave old DC10s MD-11 style glass cockpits (if im not mistaken!).I saw a great video the the C130J. it was shot from the flightdeck and the crew was showing off its STOL capabilities. But my favourite was the "tactical approach". Man he just aimed the nose STRAIGHT down and dived like a cormorant! And then stopped the thing in like 10cm lol.

Guest IanP

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried to do an RXP glass cockpit on it - the entire panel appears to be a single gauge!I'm sticking to what I have for the moment. I prefer the steam gauges with the older models anyway, so the J just has the digital engine gauge option enabled.Ian P.