Jack_Sawyer

P3D V4 and VAS indication

I love CP, I really do.

I have it installed in 3.4 and now 4.  Some problems but that's to be expected with Alpha.

Question, I like the way it displays VAS usage in the 3.4 sim but in the V4 sim it shows a smiley face which I thought was cute.

Keven, do you plan on implementing some sort of VAS monitoring in P3D V4?

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I know you know that the limit is no longer a hard limit in p3d v4, and I'm not going to say the obvious because I'm also sure we're all sick of seeing the term banded about by now, but I do have a scenario that may be of use to you and hopefully illustrate why it would be a pointless waste of resources for ChasePlane to be calculating this:

About 6 months ago I had a memory leak in DCS world, like v4 this is also 64bit (cringe I said it).   This was an aggressive memory leak as in it gobbled about a gig a second of memory.   Anyway long story short, it smashed through my 16gb of ram and continued to allocate address space using the ssd and didn't crash out until it hit 64gb of allocated space!   

There really is no need for this monitor to be added and if you are really interested you can fire up process explorer and see what it is using in there.

Hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, Chobber said:

I know you know that the limit is no longer a hard limit in p3d v4, and I'm not going to say the obvious because I'm also sure we're all sick of seeing the term banded about by now, but I do have a scenario that may be of use to you and hopefully illustrate why it would be a pointless waste of resources for ChasePlane to be calculating this:

About 6 months ago I had a memory leak in DCS world, like v4 this is also 64bit (cringe I said it).   This was an aggressive memory leak as in it gobbled about a gig a second of memory.   Anyway long story short, it smashed through my 16gb of ram and continued to allocate address space using the ssd and didn't crash out until it hit 64gb of allocated space!   

There really is no need for this monitor to be added and if you are really interested you can fire up process explorer and see what it is using in there.

Hope this helps!

Well I wonder if it would be a pointless waste of resources, I mean how much would it require, and doesn't it run outside of the sim anyway?  I don't like using PE, I personally like what CP does in 34 with the VAS monitor.

I saw today that someone used over 8GB in V4 with Orb scenery.  I don't want it eating into my SSD and crashing.  Or destroying the SSD by making it overfull.  

I mean a waste of development resources as it doesn't make sense to implement - Quick background on why it's there: when there was a limit on the addressable memory ChasePlane watched the remaining amount so that it could cleverly prevent automatic changing of views when space was limited etc, as this would balloon the usage briefly and if you were low would crash the process.  So might as well put the number up there on the gui since it was already being calculated.   That calculation doesn't work anymore (it would just show a constant 4.19 when using v4), and rather than recode a new method (what would you like to see there out of interest, the remaining physical ram in your PC? or the remaining max allocate-able address space the OS can provide to the P3D process?), they just hide it with a happy face as it's a great thing that it's no longer something that we have to worry about on long haul.  :)

What do you use to monitor the VAS of all the other games and programs that you run?

(And don't worry, when the OS pages to disk in a low memory situation it will never destroy that disk, and overfilling a disk is impossible)

Oh, okay, I see and agree.

I don't play any games.  I just use the PC built by Jetline for P3D only as I've spent my entire real life in aviation as an A&P, FCC, hot air balloon pilot, flew small stunt biplanes, and everything else real world aviation related.  So the PC is just an extension of that.

I use my iMac to write comedy stories and make my comics and even type this post.  I never surf on the PC, never email on it, just run P3D.

As for monitoring VAS on 3.4, I always use VirtualFly's free VAS meter.  It stays on top and is brilliant, but now that I have CP I never use it anymore.

Chase Plane is the absolute biggest game changer for me.  My number one program for P3D is the GTN750, but number two is now CP.  It is an incredible piece of software and I learn new things with it every day.  Only had hit a week!

And now that P3D is 4 I can eliminate those pesky acronyms OOM and VAS.

I was just concerned out of curiosity as I read that someone's VAS went to 8GB.  I was just wondering (and I stand corrected) that there will be no physical damage.  But I read that it will go to the SSD for page files.  So I figured if it did that, would it eat up all the space on an SSD and if so isn't it bad for so many cycles of filling an SSD?