Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Uncore overclock (7700K/Z270) - benefits?

So the new build seems to have come off really well - thanks to everybody here for answering specific questions and for posting lots of useful information for us passive readers - I would never have found my way to Phanteks Enthoo cases or gone with a Noctua NH-D15S instead of an AIO if not for the discoveries I've made while reading this forum).

At the moment I'm running stress tests - Silicon Lottery delidded i7700K dialed in at 5.0 on 1.3 volts with temps in the low 60s (it's rated for 5.1 but the voltage demand escalates, and I like the idea of low temps/low voltage and a long service life), too much DDR4 RAM at 3600 on an XMP profile... life is good.

My last (I think) question before I put the machine into service - is there any practical benefit to setting the uncore clock manually?  On auto, mine gives me 42.  On manual settings, I can get 45 - anything beyond that and instability starts to set in.  Unless I'm going to see a real impact in P3D4 or XP11, I'm inclined to leave it at auto and call it a day.  But if I can gain anything from setting 45 - or pushing to stabilize it at a higher clock - I'll try it.

What says the court?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!