Sign in to follow this  
Guest emkramer

VC "shift" with gauge update...take 2

Guest emkramer

I'd like to bring this up again (the last discussion got off track).When in the VC, every time the gauges update, the whole sim "shifts", as though it had been running slightly too slow and the display has to catch up every time. This happens on P4 2.8GHz (800Mhz FSB), 1GB RAM, Radeon 9550. I've upgraded memory and video card, but the problem persists.The curveball is this: My laptop (Pentium M 1.8 GHz (533MHz FSB), 1GB RAM, Intel 915GM onboard video) does not have this problem. Granted, the overall framerates are lower, but the VC is fluid. No jerkiness.Things I've tried:Upgrade video card (and drivers)Add memory (512 MB to 1 GB)Enable/Disable HyperthreadingChange AGP AperatureDisable background servicesClean up unused gauges and fix references to missing effects and gauges and scenery.Reducing video settings to lowest (really).Now, to be clear, this is not a stutter caused by loading textures. Rather, it a rythmic jerk that occurs at every gauge update. I appreciate the responses in advance. Thanks,EarlP.S. Please don't let this degenerate into VC vs. 2D panel. I can't take it anymore :)

Guest emkramer

Before anyone spends any thought on this, I'd just like to apologize for being a bonehead.When I said I'd updated drivers, I hadn't tried going way back to Omega 2.5.97a. It's like a whole new video card. Everything runs MUCH more smoothly.Earl

Guest emkramer

That is correct. I had installed Omega 2.6.87. I haven't tried the latest (based on Catalyst 6.1), and I don't plan to. The performance I'm getting now it unbelievable. I can actually fly with 4x AA (albeit with 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024), and I'm still trying to decide which I like better.Earl