Sign in to follow this  
ltrudel

XP11 and MacBook Pro

Hello,

Just downloaded the XP11 demo for Mac on my brand new MacBook Pro 2017.

I am familiar with XP10 on Windows but would love to run 11 - yes, at lower settings - on my Mac, so let's give it a try.

Everything seems very slow.  Menus, etc.  Would be hard to imagine flying with it.  

Is it just me?  Probably not.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Philippe

If you have the model with the Intel Iris Plus card then it's not going to work very well at all, but the AMD card should work better

I have an older Macbook Pro which has an Nvidia 750GT and it can run X-Plane 11, but the performance isn't great (Around 15-20fps). The only way I can get decent performance on XP11 is to run it full screen at half resolution (ie. Not the full Retina resolution). X-Plane 10 runs much better, but I gave up trying to use it for anything but development.

You can try lowering all your settings to the lowest everything and then try increasing one by one to find the sweet spot.

@tonywob

Is that a CPU or GPU limitation mainly (as it pertains to X-Plane an the latest MBP models).

I've been wondering what sort of performance the people using eGPU's are getting and if that perhaps is a viable solution.  (https://egpu.io)

Certainly a GPU one. The CPU in these laptops is pretty good, and I've been able to comfortably use X-Plane 10 (And FSX in bootcamp) in the past on it. I know of others who have the cheaper version with the Intel GPUs, and these don't work well for games.

I actually never knew about eGPUs, and I ended up buying an expensive Windows computer. Had I known, I would have just gone with this option. But oh well, lesson learned.

• Upvote 1

My new MBP is the top one, with AMD Pro 560 in it.

It really gets warm soon after I launch XP11.  Have not figured out who to fly it straight yet, but that is another issue.

Regards,

Philippe

Yes they do get hot, you could fry an egg on mine when I'm using X-Plane 11. There is no way around this, just don't have it on your lap (Yes, I've done this and ended up with painful marks). The laptops work well at dispersing heat and mine has never shutdown due to overheating.

You will need to be more conservative on your settings. AA and shadows cripple my Macbook, so I have to have this switched off. I have object settings on medium, and this gets me about 20fps (40fps on X-Plane 10). Performance on my gaming laptop with a 1070 is however fantastic.