Sign in to follow this  
Guest Galant VR4

So many problems after reinstalling FS9

Guest Galant VR4

I just completed installing FS9 again after having some problems with my computer. Now I have 2 more problems. The first problem I have is the menu takes forever to come up. When I am flying in FS9 and I hit 'ALT' to bring the menu up to pick a new loacation or plane...etc, the sim just hangs for a few seconds. I can still here the engines on the plane, but nothing is moving. I should add that I can also see the menu/toolbar at the top of the screen, but I cant click on anything for a while. The second problem is I downloaded a file called "darker_water_v2". I downloaded it to my desktop and unziped it like I do all my files. I installed the textures, but when I try to delete the folder that was unzipped to my desktop I get the message "Cannot delete darker_water_v2: Access is denied". I dont know why I am having so much trouble now with this install. I hope you guys can give me some ideas because I am at a loss for what the problem could be. My specs are as follow: Dell XPS, P4 3.20GHz, 1Gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9800XT video card. I have never had problems like this in the past. I cleaned a lot of stuff off my comp and did a disk defrag also. I also noticed when I switch from FS9 to my desktop, it takes a pretty long time for the icons on my desktop to show up. Its like now when I run FS9 my computer is super slow. I did most of the stuff listed in the tips and tricks section here on Avsim the same way it was setup before. Now my ground textures also go from dark to light kind of like a flashing effect I guess. Mods if this belongs in the hardware forum feel free to move it. I dont know if its my hardware or my FS9 that is causing the trouble.Thanks

Guest ThrottleUp

You have a powerful PC so Im wondering whats causing these problems. A few things you could look at:-the size of your page file-a resource-hogging program running in the background (check especially for spyware, malware etc.)-monitor resolution (prob wont apply to you but on my system lowering the res a notch speeded things up a lot in FS9)As for the darker_water_v2.zip it looks like its a read-only file. Right-click on it and go to Properties and then look at the Attributes. Remove the check-mark by "Read Only". It should delete now.Im sure the gurus will reply with more detailed answers if you watch this space :)

Guest B1900 Mech

Unnamed, try rebooting your machine,then attempt to get rid of the zip file.As far as the dell issues,you have my sympathies(junk for flightsimming). If you are going to make this a hobby,You should do the research,and build your own system,I hope not to sound blunt,but I did,and have never looked back:-) It's not that hard,if you can follow directions,follow electrostatic procautions(proper grounding), and plug thing's together.Oh I forgot, it's a lot cheaper:-)

Guest Galant VR4

Well as far as Junk I have never had problems with the XPS. I run everything maxed out along with max Ultimate traffic and never have any problems. I also fly into mostly payware airports that are full of detail. Now is the first time in 2 years that I have ever had any problems with FS9. I doubt you can build any computer for what I paid for the XPS. My job covered most of the cost of the XPS. I have been in the hobby for a while. Thanks for the help though.

Guest Galant VR4

I forgot to mention I had the RealityXP textures installed as soon as I reinstalled FS9. I decided to delete them and go back to the stock FS9 textures. The reboot also allowed me to delete that folder on my desktop.

I doubt you could build one for one you paid for the XPS too. You could probably build 1 1/2.CE

Galant: Have you tried booting your computer into safe mode? It might make it easier to "fiddle" around with your installation. Some files can be stubborn, but can be gotten rid of while in safe mode. Hope this helps.

Guest Galant VR4

Yeah I got everything fixed lastnight. It was a problem I was having with some textures. I if you can build a computer for what I paid for this XPS that will match the performance, I will buy 3 of them from you. Thats the honest truth. Like I said though, I paid next to nothing for it. I guess some people think they know everything though.