Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days - part 3

March 17, 1924.  The three aircraft piloted by Major Martin, Lt Smith and Lt Wade are on there way to Sacramento.

May 27, 2017.  San Luis Obispo, California. For the next leg I decided to fly the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny.  The Jenny first flew in 1915 and many thousands were produced during WW1. After they war surplus Jenny's flooded market and did much to fuel the barnstorming ear and the growth aviation in early 1920's. The model I am using was the one originally in FS2004 and was upgraded to FSX by David Grindele.  When I first tried it in P3D it had a hard time getting enough speed to take off so I converted the rear skid to a steerable tail wheel, and gave it brakes while I was at it, and then it worked like a champ.  Weather today in SLO was mostly clear, good flying weather except for a 17 kn head wind.  My destination for today was the Monterey Regional Airport, 100 nm up the coast.  Now flying an aircraft that has a cruise speed 52 kn and an endurance of 2 hours (range = 104 nm), I worried that I may not make it in this aircraft, but I read that some Jenny's were modified to increase there fuel capacity from 21 gallons to 31 gallons, I figured I could make that field modification and hope that would be enough, but I did not have to worry,  I think the fuel consumption in the old FS9 model was too low to start with and neither David nor myself had noticed or updated it so I got there with plenty of fuel.  I did have P3D crash on me when I was 25nm out so I had to restart and I used x16 to get myself back to where I was.  I arrived at KMRY after 1.7 hours of flying.  Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.0.1.3.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.0.1.3.2.jpg
Climbing out of San Luis Obispo

wc.0.1.3.3.jpg
Morro Bay Harbor with Morro Rock at its mouth.

wc.0.1.3.4.jpg
Heading up the California coast.

wc.0.1.3.5.jpg
Hearst Castle

wc.0.1.3.6.jpg
The city of Monterey with the airport in sight!

• Upvote 1

Great shots of the California coast.....Jenny...love it.....going to need a turbocharger to get over the 16000ft High Sierra Range!

HLJAMES

1 hour ago, HLJames said:

Great shots of the California coast.....Jenny...love it.....going to need a turbocharger to get over the 16000ft High Sierra Range!

HLJAMES

Thanks James.  Fortunately my route will not require me to fly that high.