Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days Part 4, Monterey, Oakland, Sacramento

March 17, 1924.  The three aircraft piloted by Major Martin, Lt Smith and Lt Wade are on there way to Sacramento.

May 27, 2017. Took a bit of a rest in Monterey, then pulled out the Albatros D.III for the next leg of the trip.  The D.III first flew in 1916 and was one of the leading fighters the during the period of German aerial dominance known as "Bloody April" 1917.  The model I am using for this leg is the A2A Simulations 'Aircraft Factory' model, which is very nice.  Compared to the previous aircraft I have used on this trip, the extra power in the Albatros will be very useful getting over the Santa Cruz mountains that are between me and my destination, the Oakland International Airport, 70.5 nm away.  The weather was again excellent for flying, 12 kn winds with scattered clouds.  Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.0.1.4.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.0.1.4.2.jpg
Climbing out of Monterey

wc.0.1.4.3.jpg
Up the coast toward Santa Cruz

wc.0.1.4.4.jpg
Cruising along.

wc.0.1.4.5.jpg
On final into Oakland.

wc.0.1.4.6.jpg
Landed.  I would have taxied to parking but since the AC has no brakes and just a skid in back, I will stop here.

March 17, 1924.  The three planes arrived at Mather Field, Sacramento California after 4.5 hours of flying and were greeted by the Mayor and a crowd of several hundred, after servicing there aircraft they were taken into town to a dinner in here honor given by the Chamber of Commerce.

March 29, 2017.  I was busy yesterday and could not fly, this morning I get the Avro 504K ready for the next leg.  The Avro 504 first flew in 1913 and almost 9000 were built before the last variant was produced in 1932.  The K model was built staring in 1917 and was widely used as a trainer and even a fighter for Home Defense squadrons.  Many hundreds were sold for civilian use after the war.   I will be using the 504K from the A2A Aircraft Factory.

Weather today is wet and foggy, 700 foot ceiling and 10-15kn winds, the control tower denied by VFR take off request so I will have to go without permission.  I had originally picked Oakland as a destination because from here I could do a tourist flight over the city of San Francisco before heading to Sacramento, at first I though it would be too foggy but I see the clouds over the city are not so bad.  After taking a few selfies by the tourist spots I headed up the bay, staying over the water since the tops of the hills were mostly in clouds, it did not clear up till I was through the bay and over the Sacramento Delta, then it was a short flight to Sacramento Mather Airport, formerly Mather Air Force Base, formerly Mather Field.  As the crow flies Mather is 58 nm from Oakland Airport but my round about route took me 1.2 hours.  My scenic route took 6.1 hours of flying compared to the 4.5 in the original flight but since I broke it up into 5 parts I am now four days behind.  Here are a few pics from my flight.

wc.0.1.5.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.0.1.5.2.jpg
Maybe the clouds over SF are not so bad after all.

wc.0.1.5.3.jpg
Flying over the Golden Gate Bridge.

wc.0.1.5.4.jpg
Flying under the Golden Gate Bridge

wc.0.1.5.5.jpg
Alcatraz

wc.0.1.5.6.jpg
Finally out of the clouds!

wc.0.1.5.7.jpg
My destination is in sight!

wc.0.1.5.8.jpg
Parked at Mathers.

• Upvote 2

Very nice collection of vintage aircraft....beautiful shots of the Bay Area!

HLJAMES

15 hours ago, HLJames said:

Very nice collection of vintage aircraft....beautiful shots of the Bay Area!

HLJAMES

Thanks James, Much appreciated.