Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days, part 6: Eugene, Vancouver WA, Seattle.

March 19, 1924: The three planes left Eugene next morning for Vancouver Washington, on the way they were intercepted by five JN-4s from the Vancouver Barracks Aerodrome.  When they arrived they were greeted by a large crowd from the cities of Portland and Vancouver.  They motored into Portland for a luncheon with the city leaders.  They had intended to fly to Seattle that afternoon but shortly after departing the ceiling dropped to 500 feet and Major Martin decided they should return to Vancouver.  That evening, Lt Nelson arrived in Eugene, flying directly from Santa Monica after 9 hours 45 minutes of flying.

June 10, 2017.  The aircraft for the next leg is the Fokker F.VIIa, by  Jens B. Kristensen.  The Fokker was the aircraft of choice for many early airlines, both in Europe and the Americas and it dominated the American market in the late 1920s.

My Progress has been delayed by the fact that I just received a new computer to use for flight sim and I need to transfer over and re-install enough software so I could get flying again.  Today flying conditions are good, 7 kn winds, ceiling 2000-4000 feet with clear terrain between me and my destination of Pearson Field, Vancouver Washington, 93 nm away.

wc.0.3.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff

wc.0.3.2.jpg
Climbing out of Eugene Oregon.

wc.0.3.3.jpg
Central Oregon.

wc.0.3.4.jpg
Clouds getting thicker.

wc.0.3.5.jpg
Make sure you avoid the radio antennas.

wc.0.3.6.jpg
My destination, I'm flying over KPDX but my destination is just beyond the river.

wc.0.3.7.jpg
Arrived at Pearson Field.

March 20, 1924:  The morning the three aircraft left Vancouver for Sand Point Field in Seattle (now the site of  Magnuson Park), arriving by Noon.  Lt Nelson arrived from Eugene two hours later.  Once again they were meet by Local Dignitaries and were motored into town for a Luncheon.  The flyers would then spend the next three weeks getting the aircraft ready for the trip including swapping the wheels for floats, protecting all metal surface with either varnish or oil and getting there supplies in order.

June 10, 2017: This afternoon I got ready the de Havilland DH.60 Moth by Golden Age Simulations, which I like a lot.  The DH.60 was a two seat training and touring aircraft built from 1925 in many different versions until 1932 when it was replaced by the DH.82 Tiger Moth.  “By 1929 it was estimated that of every 100 aeroplanes in Britain, 85 were Moths of one type or another”.

My 114nm flight to Seattles Renton Municipal Airport was pretty smooth, most interesting thing was this was the first real flight I did on the new computer using P3D V4, with autogen turned up to the max and the screen at 3840x2160 I was still getting 60 fps, hopefully you will see a difference in the screen shots.  

So far I have had 12.1 hours of flight time compared to 13.5 by the flyers, and they arrived in Seattle after 4 days while I took 16, but I won’t have to take 3 weeks getting my aircraft ready for the next leg. 

Here are the pics:

wc.0.4.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff

wc.0.4.2.jpg
Last look at Oregon for a while

wc.0.4.3.jpg
Central Washington

wc.0.4.4.jpg
Mount St Helens, hiding in the clouds.

wc.0.4.5.jpg
I can't tell you how many times I flew under this Bridge in FS2004.

wc.0.4.6.jpg
SeaTac Airport with Seattle in the distance.

wc.0.4.7.jpg
My destination, Renton Municipal Airport.

wc.0.4.8.jpg
Aircraft Secured, time for dinner!

• Upvote 2

The game changer Fokker Trimotor made possible by new powerful lightweight  air cooled radial engines....love those shots!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1