Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Moving over scenery to a differed SSD, XML question

I know many here want to go the XML route. I prefer to determine where my sceneries should go.

FSDG sceneries are installing into My Docs folder. I moved them to my D drive and changed the path in the scenery_add-ons.xml.

When I open P3D it delete the entries. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Jose

I was doing it like you described (with FSDG scenery) and it worked here. To be honest, I am just not sure if I moved the scenery and changed paths before or after P3Dv4 registered the new addons. I wish I would always take notes if I dive into the depths of P3D configuration ...

Best Regards
Frank

26 minutes ago, mdata said:

Hi Jose

I was doing it like you described (with FSDG scenery) and it worked here. To be honest, I am just not sure if I moved the scenery and changed paths before or after P3Dv4 registered the new addons. I wish I would always take notes if I dive into the depths of P3D configuration ...

Best Regards
Frank

Those entries are added after you start P3D and you confirm you want to add the entries. I'm learning fast. :biggrin:

I think that what I'm missing is an XML in the My Docs folder. I need to look into a tool on a different thread.

So, the natural order of things would be that either an addon installer or you manually are placing an add-on.xml with details like paths, titles, description into the folder ...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Addon-Folder. The path would point to the actual install directory of the addon, this could be anywhere on your hard drives.
And then P3Dv4 would add this scenery to its library. I.e. it would create or append to two more files (sorry not being in front of my sim PC I cannot exactly recall their names and their locations). I think it was add-ons.xml and scenery_addons.cfg. The one sitting in c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4\ and the other in user\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4\.

If you have really screwed up your scenery order you can as well remove these two files and P3Dv4 will recreate them from what xml files are available in the \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Addon-Folders.

Best Regards
Frank

3 hours ago, mdata said:

So, the natural order of things would be that either an addon installer or you manually are placing an add-on.xml with details like paths, titles, description into the folder ...\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Addon-Folder. The path would point to the actual install directory of the addon, this could be anywhere on your hard drives.
And then P3Dv4 would add this scenery to its library. I.e. it would create or append to two more files (sorry not being in front of my sim PC I cannot exactly recall their names and their locations). I think it was add-ons.xml and scenery_addons.cfg. The one sitting in c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4\ and the other in user\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4\.

If you have really screwed up your scenery order you can as well remove these two files and P3Dv4 will recreate them from what xml files are available in the \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Addon-Folders.

Best Regards
Frank

Thanks. I have not looked into this file add-ons.xml.

Hi Jose,

If you have not found these files already ..

Back at my sim computer I can precise the files P3Dv4 is creating / appending when new scenery is installed via the XM method:

- add-ons.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This file looks a bit similar to the old scenery.cfg file except that it misses the title and the layer information, but it contains the path to your addon and the active/required properties. This file contains sceney that was added by installers via the XML method (e.g. FSDT scenery) and was which was created by P3Dv4.

- scenery-add-ons.xml in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This file lists all add-ons added via the XML method with their path and a scenery CRC property. This file was added as well by P3Dv4.

Then I have a further add-ons.cfg file in C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. More addon scenery is listed there. Partially scenery that I added myself manually or with Lorby's Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer (http://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html) or again scenery installed with their native installer (e.g. FSDG scenery)

None of the these files lists scenery that was added via the classic scenery.cfg.

For my flavor this is too many locations that need to be watched when dealing with scenery items....

Best Regards
Frank

24 minutes ago, mdata said:

Hi Jose,

If you have not found these files already ..

Back at my sim computer I can precise the files P3Dv4 is creating / appending when new scenery is installed via the XM method:

- add-ons.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This file looks a bit similar to the old scenery.cfg file except that it misses the title and the layer information, but it contains the path to your addon and the active/required properties. This file contains sceney that was added by installers via the XML method (e.g. FSDT scenery) and was which was created by P3Dv4.

- scenery-add-ons.xml in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This file lists all add-ons added via the XML method with their path and a scenery CRC property. This file was added as well by P3Dv4.

Then I have a further add-ons.cfg file in C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. More addon scenery is listed there. Partially scenery that I added myself manually or with Lorby's Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer (http://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html) or again scenery installed with their native installer (e.g. FSDG scenery)

None of the these files lists scenery that was added via the classic scenery.cfg.

For my flavor this is too many locations that need to be watched when dealing with scenery items....

Best Regards
Frank

After installing the FSDG addons and confirming, I still see nothing in the C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  "add-ons.cfg" about FSDG.

I checked the files created by LatinVFR. All the airports are installed in a LatinVFR folder in the main P3D folder in my D drive. That's what I want. The only files in My Docs from LatinVFR are:

Add-on.xml

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">

<AddOn.Name>Miami_KMIA</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>Miami_KMIA</AddOn.Description>

<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>D:\Prepar3D v4\LatinVFR\Miami_KMIA</Path>
<Name>Miami_KMIA</Name>
</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

and a text file:

[PRODUCT]
Product Name=LatinVFR Miami Int'l KMIA P3dv4
Product Version=V3.1
Product path=D:\Prepar3D v4\LatinVFR\Miami_KMIA
addonXMLpath=C:\Users\JOSE\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\LatinVFR Miami Int'l KMIA P3dv4\add-on.xml
[FLIGHTSIM]
Prepar3D main Folder=D:\Prepar3D v4
Sim Selection=609
Prepar3D.cfg path=C:\Users\JOSE\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
add-on.cfg path=C:\Users\JOSE\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
scenery.cfg path=C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

It looks like too much work. Each airport has to be done and I ha too many.

I'll probably just do it the old fashion way, copy the files & add the sceneries with the config editor.